Sonic Electronix

VERY Rare Polk db6520 Coaxials, dull tweeter on one of the speakers. Can I repair it??

Yeah scored a set of super rare Polk db6520 from the 90's but after setting them up I noticed one was fairly dull compared to the other (which sounds VERY nice btw) when fading right into each speaker on my HU.

I tried swapping speakers on a different channel and exact same result so I knew it was the speaker itself.

So I was thinking it was a bad capacitor and ordered a pair of Jantzen 450uf 400v "Cross-Caps" (which is the same specs as the Bennic one on the speaker), but after I replaced the suspect capacitor and left the cap in the other good speaker to compare the results I found the sound to still be dull, although the sound definitely improved ALOT it still had the exact same dullness to it compared to the good speaker. Thinking it could be possible but unlikely a break in period for the cap, I have left it a few days of random playing music and the sound has not changed, usually new caps will just sound a bit harsh but not lower in sound.

Anyway so I am guessing now it has to be something wrong with the tweeter itself as all the connections looked fine on the back of the speaker when I did the cap, and I only suspect the tweeter as the mids appear to be coming out fine.

Is there anything I can do to repair it? I am going to pull them out tomorrow and put some other rear speakers in and then I can have them on my work bench and disconnect the tweeter wires and test them with my Multimeter, but even if that gives an "off" reading I still dont know where to start in repairing them. Im not to bad with a soldering iron and I have some small tools a decent understanding of speakers and stuff and I can add clear photos or whatever is needed. I really need to get these speakers back in action. Any help/ advice/ knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Archived