Second Skin Audio

Need Help deciding on Subwoofers for new build !

Brewski30

Hello all , 

Newbie here building a new system and need some advise on what subwoofers to go with .. I have a 95 F-150 Ext Cab Resto mod project . I have all my speakers powered by an Audio Control D-6.1200 and have x2 LC-1.800's for my subs .. I have an Audiophile style system and every thing is Kappa or Kappa perfect  looked at many others like focal but not in my budget.. My music taste consists of mainly Rock, Metal, Industrial , Daft punk, Tech no/dub/ Trance Astrix or Vinci Vinci to be specific  and OG Coolio snoop and the like .. I have several Sub's I am looking at : DC Audio Level 3 D4 , SA Series Sundown , Alpine X-W10D4 and lasty the Morel Ultimo Titanium SC 102 or 124 .. I am  un sure weather I should go with 10's or 12's ? I leaning to the 10's for bass response but idnno .. Thx o7

Well, if you're going for sound quality, my opinion would be the morel, but that's just my opinion. 

As far as what size, any size in the right enclosure will do exactly what you want it to. You should measure how much space you have to give, figure out how many cubic feet you have to play with, and decide off of that. Sometimes, if you have room for 1 12, you also have room for 2 10's, depending on the speaker. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thx for the response Dafaseles !!

My Truck cab is " HxWxL" 5.8 x 6.2 x 6.5 feet my back seat folds down and that's where im placing every thing. the seat folded down is 28" deep x 60" wide. I plan  to put the box's and amp rack on it ..attached is my amp rack that space from the door back is the area for my subs n Amp :) ..

I will have to go single enclosure for each subwoofer .. After I posted the first post , I found the B2 Riot 10" sub 4D its spec's are almost Identical to the Morel just 10-500 hz for the B2 and the Morel is 10-900 hz not that it matters no one is gonna play there sub past 200 I would think.. Funny you should pick Morel it was my first pick.. but the price of 699 is hard to swallow the B2 Riot is 399 I think but dont know about there quality . Im pretty sure there Awesome Mr. Meade Just used them in his Master Piece Acrylic sub box .. I just dont know about sub MFG and who is good and who is not so .. and I need a hard hitting but Sound quality Sub . Oh and if I buy the Morels there only 600 watts my amps are 800+ so I would have to turn down my gain to the propper volatge for 600 watts :( the Riots are 750 watts. is the Morel that good its worth the sacrifice ??

20210204_164344.jpg

20200710_045419.jpg

Well, some other brands to consider are Adire, Stereo Integrity, and Image Dynamics. Those are more SQ type subs. I don't know the price on them though. I haven't checked in a while. I know B2 makes some good stuff though. 

And yeah, usually the LPF is set around 80 hz so, you don't need one that plays to 500 hz. I'm sure if we where professional, winning compositions type installers, that statistic would make a difference, but I wouldn't pay it much mind. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 3 weeks later...

If I were building a sound quality system right now, I'd look at the Stereo Integrity SQL drivers, or Hutchinson car audio drivers. The Hutchinsons are WELL beyond your' budget, but the SQL can be had for $289 until March 31. They resonate at 27 hz, will play WELL in as little as .65 cubic feet sealed or 1.5 cubes vented, have a 28.5mm xmax will play endlessly on 1000-1500 watts and are 92 DB efficient! The sound quality is outstanding, and they POUND! What more could you want?

Archived