Buying an OBD2 Scanner has been one of the best purchases I ever made for my vehicle.

When my company's mechanic used his personal cheap OBD2 scanner to clear a code for the DEF on the truck I use for work, we got to talking about them and I looked some up on Amazon. I became intrigued with some of the Bluetooth models that use an APP on your phone where you can see live feedback while you drive. So I ended up getting the OBDlink MX+ and used it's App. It's compatible with other apps too but not sure if others are any better. But wow, just shit tons of information and it became a great way to better know my car because the dash indicators are pretty basic so it's pretty nice to see all the live feedback from my phone. Then I used it to clear the engine light on my wife's car that has been on for years. It's an O2 sensor so I never bothered with it.  If I ever have DEF issues at work again, I'll just bring it in and clear it myself so I don't have to drive one of our old crappy trucks while waiting for our mechanic to get around to bringing his in. Should come in handy before buying another used vehicle too. 

Anyway, I guess I feel like I found something I always wanted but didn't know that I wanted it and never realized how useful these things have become beyond just clearing your dummy lights.

Archived