Sonic Electronix

Hello everyone, I am a self-taught garage car audio guy and have a simple question.  Maybe I am thinking too hard here, can’t seem to figure it out.  Any video I seen on YouTube don’t really give me a clear answer.

I am really doing a basic blowthrough, as basic as it gets, nothing fancy.

I need to know how to run my 2 Knewconceptz Karma 10 ga speaker wire from my JL Audio HD1200/1 under the front passenger seat of my double cab Tacoma to my sub box on the bed...

It’s probably VERY silly to most of you guys, like I said, new DIY guy - The question is do I run the speaker wires trough the blowthrough hole?

I’m using a SMD QR-2 Quick Release Speaker Box Terminal on the box.  I know it has a terminal for TWO channels, I know my amp is only one channel, I just want each sub to have their own run of 10 ga cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Rick.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, NavyDiver72 said:

Hello everyone, I am a self-taught garage car audio guy and have a simple question.  Maybe I am thinking too hard here, can’t seem to figure it out.  Any video I seen on YouTube don’t really give me a clear answer.

I am really doing a basic blowthrough, as basic as it gets, nothing fancy.

I need to know how to run my 2 Knewconceptz Karma 10 ga speaker wire from my JL Audio HD1200/1 under the front passenger seat of my double cab Tacoma to my sub box on the bed...

It’s probably VERY silly to most of you guys, like I said, new DIY guy - The question is do I run the speaker wires trough the blowthrough hole?

I’m using a SMD QR-2 Quick Release Speaker Box Terminal on the box.  I know it has a terminal for TWO channels, I know my amp is only one channel, I just want each sub to have their own run of 10 ga cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Rick.

Well, you could drill a hole in cab, then run it under the truck into the bed. Or you could just run them through the port to get the the subs. It's not as clean, and you have to secure them somehow or they'll vibrate and you might be able to hear them, but it keeps from putting holes in your floorboard. 

What kind of box are you using? 6th order bandpass or 4th order? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Sealed box.  I am not a SPL guy and although I want louder bass, I’m really into a SQ setup.

I have a sealed box with two JL Audio 12W7s.

I know a lot of people here will say, that’s really dumb, to hack a 28 X 18 hole on the back wall for two 12’s - LAME!

But, I say to that, I owned the truck since October 23, 2005.  I’m the original owner - and I will NEVER get rid of my Tacoma.

Since it’s the price you pay with the lack of space for a box on a pickup, right now I have a sealed box behind the seat.  I have a shallow mount JL Audio 13TW5.

It’s nice and boomy, VERY accurate driver, but obviously it looses the lower the frequencies get (mainly hip-hop with boosted bass tracks).

So I’m pretty sure is going to be like night and day difference for me going from 1 13TW5 shallow mount to 2 12W7s…

Again for all the guys in this forum is probably going to be an average sub setup, but it’s going to be a huge step up for me.

I’m going to avoid running them through the port.  I like clean installations so I’ll go the hole through the floor of the cab route.

Thanks for the reply.

So you're going to cut a big hole and essentially slide the whole box into the cab? That's not dumb. Not at all. That actually takes more skill than just cutting and building a port off the box into the cab (what I'm doing 🤣) in my opinion. There's a member here that hasn't posted in a while, I forgot his name, but he did the same thing with 2 8's I think... maybe 2 10's. If you look under the member's rides section, you'll find it. I'm pretty sure it says blow through in the title. It's worth a look. He did a great job! Fabricated a metal sleeve and everything. Clean as hell! 

I just want to make sure you're not just putting a box in the bed, putting it as close to the cab as you can, then cutting a hole in the sheet metal. That's not a blow through. That's a box in your bed with a hole in your cab. I had a co worker that that's what he did. He lost so much sound not going into the cab, it was ridiculous. Especially with those subs, they deserve way better than that. 

And yeah, you'll go from shaking your ear view mirror, to shaking your cab with those w7's. Some people don't like them. I loved mine. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived