Help wirimg different subs

• Tat2cardone
    a minute ago  
    I have a dumb question. Is it possible to wire a 2 ohm sub with a 1.4 ohm sub? I have a B2 XMV3 15 2 ohm and a DC elite xl 15 that's 1.4ohm and a Taramps 12k that's 1 ohm stable. I wanted another B2 but its been sold out for like 3 months so I'm going with DC. But for now I still want to hook both up. Any advice will help.

53 minutes ago, Tat2cardone said:

• Tat2cardone
    a minute ago  
    I have a dumb question. Is it possible to wire a 2 ohm sub with a 1.4 ohm sub? I have a B2 XMV3 15 2 ohm and a DC elite xl 15 that's 1.4ohm and a Taramps 12k that's 1 ohm stable. I wanted another B2 but its been sold out for like 3 months so I'm going with DC. But for now I still want to hook both up. Any advice will help.

Don't do it. Using different ohm voice coils, on top of different subs altogether, is always a bad idea. Mixing different impedances will cause one sub to take all the power, and essentially "choke" the other sub. Causing it to have to with too hard, then causing excess heat in the coil, then, in some cases failure. 

On top of that, mixing different subs with completely different t/s parameters will cause blending issues, cancelation issues, and weird, unpredictable peaks and valleys in your frequency response. 

It's best just to pick a sub and go with it, rather than use 2 different subs

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

27 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Don't do it. Using different ohm voice coils, on top of different subs altogether, is always a bad idea. Mixing different impedances will cause one sub to take all the power, and essentially "choke" the other sub. Causing it to have to with too hard, then causing excess heat in the coil, then, in some cases failure. 

On top of that, mixing different subs with completely different t/s parameters will cause blending issues, cancelation issues, and weird, unpredictable peaks and valleys in your frequency response. 

It's best just to pick a sub and go with it, rather than use 2 different subs

What if I wired an amp to each sub? Would they sound OK in the same box? This is just temporary also.

No. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But you'll have the same issues except they won't be fighting for the same power supply would be the only difference. 

If you're asking my opinion, that's a hard no. But it's your subs. Knowing the risks, just be careful and mindful of what your subs are doing, and I hope you don't damage one of them. 

Here's the thing. Voice coils rely on the movement of the cone, the stiffness of the suspension and the strength of the motor, and the efficiency of its movement to keep the coil from over heating. If one sub is stronger than the other, it'll fight with the other sub for air, and win. It'll pull the other sub when it wants to push, it'll push the sub when it wants to pull, and it'll keep the weaker sub from effectively keeping its coil from being able to cool itself effectively. Which, can lead to burning up your coil. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived