Sonic Electronix

Hi, new here, i've searched the forum and didn't find anything (maybe missed something)
I have upgraded front door speakers from factory OEM 2 years ago with JBL 609C and Alpine UTE72BT (i know entry level HU) but it had bluetooth so it was better at that time (for gf of course :😂
Speakers played for the last 2 years okay-ish, i've head JBL's before, but not as powerful as these. JBL claims it can handle up to 200W RMS at the best, and i see they do, but with a catch.
ADDED AMP: Edge Eda 350.2 - 2 x 200W RMS 4ohm / 2 x 350W RMS 2ohm (not recomending the amp if you're heat sensitive, you can fry eggs on it) VIBE upgraded their version for lower heating. (Edge being their lower price products for Russian market, VIBE for UK and EU)

Wires ALL OFC. Main power 16mm ESX wire Kit. Speaker wires Stinger 2mm OFC. RCA - Ground Zero Triple shielded- Routed on the other side of the car, of course frm the Power Cable.

Now, the issue is it doesn't play loud for my expectation.

I've changed the amp with a CRUNCH GTX 4800 with a 4 x 110 W RMS 4ohm / 4 x 200 W RMS 2ohm. This Amp indeed lowered the volume because of the 4x110W. I can't understand why it didn't switched to 2ohms for the full 200W RMS / channel. But this had a NICE sound. Warm and enjoyable. I liked it.

Switched back to Edge 350.2 for the power. Rear door will receive later on speakers, now don't have. So, 2 ch amp is ok at the moment.

Can anyone if had experience with the JBL 609C how loud they play and maybe some more settings up to do?

Now, the problem: it doesn't sound loud enough, for my expectations. Ok, it plays loud without distortion (like playing directly from 22w/channel HU)
I've tried multiple Amp setups with the multimeter setting gains, but didn't had very much succes in the Loud and Powerful department.
Tried the rule of 75% volume gain set, set the volume to 33 from 35, set the volume to 16, anyway didn't get loud enough, for good sound.
I play a lot from spotify (Galaxy S10+) and keep the volume up to 70-75% until the volume logo on my Galaxy S10+ turns red when increasing. It has last 3 or 4 volume steps with red. So i keep my volume on the last "safe" step or the first red step.

If i am turning the volume on spotify to the max, i am getting so pops in the speakers. Probably the coil hits the bottom? Although it doesn't distort, sound is clear/good. Of course some songs can be played up to 24, others up to 30, others up to 20. It depends on the song. Although is not nice to listen loud on a song and the next when starts to crack your speakers with those scarry pops.
Of course even on USB it depends from song to song, that it's common sense.

My doors are fully isolated with CTK 2mm bitum-AL, 6mm sound special foam CTK Elastic (exterior door pannel) / - CTK 2mm bitum for middle AL pannel which is the window mec

Is there a way i can make the speakers play at their loudest volume without these scarry pops and benefit from those 200W RMS / channel? Right now i don't see the advantage over most speakers that are around 100W/channel (not talking about PRO Audio)
I am thinking in buying an osciloscope (will use in the future anyway) to set up the amp and HU for better quality without clipping.

What do you have your crossovers set at? Also, how do you have your passive crossover wired up? 

Also, those components are 3 ohm each, not 4 ohm, so you might be overpowering them a little. 

As for that popping, different music is recorded differently unfortunately. I honestly hate listening to music on streaming services for that very reason. So that mixed with overpowering them, I think you're right, that popping is the speakers bottoming out. 

If you're looking for more volume, unfortunately, if you're not satisfied, you need more speakers. Cone area is king. But not everyone has the room for that. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived