Sonic Electronix

Tuning dsp and amplifier

Hello,

I am using two numbers of four channel amps to power front components ,rear speakers and sub. I did the tuning using a digital multimeter and it is working fine. Recently I have added kicker frontrow dsp for sq set up. Can anyone help me to tune the system.?do I need to change the amp gains and crossover settings which are already set in the amplifiers ? Or just add the dsp and tune according to the user manual? Please help.

Thanks in advance

Hey, I am literally just going through this now - finished up my basic setup on my DSP and about to go into tuning. DSP are not for the faint of heart!

Firstly are you running active or passive with your speakers?

If adding the DSP and running active (much preferred as you aren't using nearly its full potential if running passive), you should set all the amp crossovers to OFF or their minimum position (so full open for the range of frequency for each amp)

Then, BEFORE playing any sound from your speakers, re-verify using your DMM (more ideal would be an SMD-DD1) to set the gains (so no speakers connected)

then, you will need to connect to the DSP and set all your crossover points for each speaker. My DSP has some great features to help me with this basic start-up. Once your crossovers are set, ensure that all the outputs are connected to the right speakers (you don't want to send a woofer signal to your tweeter!)

Then you can start tuning - YAY! be ready for long hours. If you don<t have a microphone then it will be a bit more of a challenge for sure - but you can still do it by ear I suppose - much less accurate but what counts is you like it.

DEFINITELY take the time to read Audiofrog's DSP tuning guide...

https://testgear.audiofrog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/A-Straightforward-Stereo-Tuning-Process-and-Some-Notes-About-Why-it-Works.pdf

let me repeat - read, read, READ!  And then, if you have more precise questions or clarification concerning tuning your system, you can come back to the forum for that. 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Archived