Sundown Audio

Amp recommendation

T-o-double D

To the point question:

I have a kicker cx1200 pushing a 12" L7S ( 44VL7S122 ). I am happy with its performance. I have a 2 week window to return it and I am considering going with a Sundown SFB-1500 maybe 2000, or Down4sounds JP23 instead. These amps would cost the same or less but seem to be a upgrade for future proof, accept 1/0 cable, and come with a bass knob. (JP23 has a volt meter and temp built in to the knob). I am thinking  those amps would be a significant upgrade over the kicker. Am I right or wrong? Which one would you recommend?

More details for those that want them:

Vehicle is an 03 Dodge SRT-4, I am currently running 4 Guage ofc wire to the amp. But I have stock electrical. My plan is to do the big 3 with 1/0 and add a XS D1200 battery. Then upgrade the wire to the amp to 1/0 ofc since the amp claims to be able to hit 2400 watts peak, 4guage may not be able to deliver. But the cx1200 terminals are not able to accept 1/0 requiring creative options to wire it using 1/0.

I may in the future see if I can fit a second L7S, or totally switch to Sundown, DC, or Skar subs. If I do I am thinking 1 of those amps would be a worthwhile investment to future expandability. But maybe I should leave well enough alone, this one 12 slams very hard in the 30-60 hz range,  and be happy with the cx1200?

I would personally leave it alone until you upgrade. 

You're not going to get significant gains in volume by switching to one of those amplifiers. They really don't put out that much more than the kicker does. You might be able to tell, but you might not. 

I would start upgrading your electrical. Even if you get a bigger amp, that still needs to happen anyway. 

They make these for your amp

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/pair-1-0-to-4ga-amp-inputs-w-heat-shrink/

So you can install 1/0 into a 4 awg input. 

In the future, how many watts are you thinking of running? 4000 maybe? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thank you! Those adapters look great. The big 3, 1/0 to the rear, and an xs battery will happen this week. This amp alone is too much strain on my electrical to leave it like it is.

I don't have plans to do much else in the sub area right away, but I know long term I can't leave well enough alone. I was thinking that the Jp23 would give about the same power as the cx1200 now but if I ever add a sub and drop to 1 ohm it would double it's power. The bass knob with it's clip indicator, volt meter and thermal is nice too, and about the same price as the Cx1200.

But I am happy with it now. Sometimes I get unrealistic expectations or impressions on what a product is capable of so I like to ask those with experience with them before I waste money. Like I said I can't leave well enough alone. Thanks again. 👍

1 hour ago, T-o-double D said:

Thank you! Those adapters look great. The big 3, 1/0 to the rear, and an xs battery will happen this week. This amp alone is too much strain on my electrical to leave it like it is.

I don't have plans to do much else in the sub area right away, but I know long term I can't leave well enough alone. I was thinking those  Amps would leave me more reserve power in case I added or upgraded later. The sfb1500 is about $75 cheaper and the JP23 and sfb2000 are about the same price as the Kicker cx1200. I could go with the cx1800 for about $75 more too.

But I am happy with it now. Sometimes I get unrealistic expectations or impressions on what a product is capable of so I like to ask those with experience with them before I waste money. Like I said I can't leave well enough alone. Thanks again, will stick with the cx1200 for now. 👍

I would. No use upgrading anything until your electrical is solid. This kicker amps are pretty decent too, they do rated and handle voltage drops way better than those other amplifiers do, those those others might put out a little more wattage. Really, not enough more wattage to warrant spending the money in my opinion. 

They say, the human ear considers an increase of 10 to 11 decibels to be "twice as loud". Upgrading just the amp that puts out maybe 500 watts more, keeping the subwoofer and enclosure the same, I'd be surprised if you gain a whole 3 to 5 decibels. 

Me personally, like I said, I would just stick to what you've got until it gets boring. Save up some money, 2 batteries and a bigger alternator, and go ahead and double it or more. Meaning another L7S, and another CXA1200, or even bigger if you want. That will get you a big gain you'll be happy with for a while. 

That's just my opinion though. Everyone is different. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived