Sonic Electronix

Clipping on bass knob accuracy?

I have a Sundown saz1500d amp and i am using the original bass knob that came with this amp.

I was tuning my amp with a oscilloscope and thought i had my gain set just right. I even brought the gain a little further down from its clipping point on the o'scope just to be safe.

the issue is when i look at my bass knob the clipping light is on. How accurate is this light? 

saz1500d with lc2i output pushing 1 sundown sa12v.2 at 800watts

I would venture to say that the oscilloscope is more accurate than the clip light because the scope is actually measuring sound waves. Most clip lights just measure voltage. 

Just for science sake, using the same test tone on the oscilloscope, and the bass knob light, how much further do you have to turn the gain down to get the light to turn off? A lot? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

11 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I would venture to say that the oscilloscope is more accurate than the clip light because the scope is actually measuring sound waves. Most clip lights just measure voltage. 

Just for science sake, using the same test tone on the oscilloscope, and the bass knob light, how much further do you have to turn the gain down to get the light to turn off? A lot? 

So i did all my testing with a 40hz test tone. On the O'scope i could put my gain at about the 9 o clock position and thats a fraction below the clipping point so "good to go" if i wanted to max out what i can push. I went below that and put my gain at about the 8:30 position to be safe. For the clipping light on the bass knob to go away it needs to be at the 8 o clock position if that makes any sense lol. 

also even at the 8 o clock position, some songs will flicker that light but i assume that can be normal.

31 minutes ago, tac2369 said:

So i did all my testing with a 40hz test tone. On the O'scope i could put my gain at about the 9 o clock position and thats a fraction below the clipping point so "good to go" if i wanted to max out what i can push. I went below that and put my gain at about the 8:30 position to be safe. For the clipping light on the bass knob to go away it needs to be at the 8 o clock position if that makes any sense lol. 

also even at the 8 o clock position, some songs will flicker that light but i assume that can be normal.

A flicker here and there is absolutely normal. 

That all makes sense. I was just curious. 

I would still say the oscilloscope is more accurate. But, on the other hand, you know for sure if you go off the light, you're way below clipping. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived