Sonic Electronix

Head unit vs amp setting filters

Which do you prefer and why? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? Is the xover in the head unit as good as the one in the amp? 

Ive mostly used the ones on the amp but the ease of adjustment is nice on the head unit xover also. Which do you prefer and why? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? Is the xover in the head unit as good as the one in the amp?
Ive mostly used the ones on the amp but the ease of adjustment is nice on the head unit xover also.
Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

22 minutes ago, JoeyWelch said:

Which do you prefer and why? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? Is the xover in the head unit as good as the one in the amp? 

Ive mostly used the ones on the amp but the ease of adjustment is nice on the head unit xover also. Which do you prefer and why? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? Is the xover in the head unit as good as the one in the amp?
Ive mostly used the ones on the amp but the ease of adjustment is nice on the head unit xover also.
Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

My personal opinion is the amp, but there are exceptions. 

I try and make sure to buy amplifiers with quality pots and can handle with pretty good certainty and accuracy the duty of protecting my speakers. But you definitely pay for it. 

Using the crossovers on the head unit, you have way more control. More accuracy, and ease of setting. But, if you have to disconnect your battery, or you lose all your power for some reason, you have to remember to reset the settings, and what they where. Not a huge deal, but if you do forget, you run the risk of damaging your speakers. 

Most people usually use both. The head unit for accuracy and specifics, then the amplifier as a fail safe. 

A quality DSP is going to be the most accurate and you'll have the most control. Yet, that's another component, another bill, and they can be difficult to use. 

My opinion is there really is no wrong answer. Just personal opinion

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived