Second Skin Audio

12w6v3 1.7 ft^3 ported box (would consider different sub)

randyspambox

I currently have a 10TW3 and in the past have had 12W1, 10W3, and 12W6v1.

I'm looking for more low range and more volume, both of which the 12W6v3 will offer. A larger box with lower tune gives a flatter response from 30-60hz. 1.6ft^3 @ 30Hz and 1.7ft^3 @ 29Hz have almost the same results in WinISD. Part of the box will be fiberglass, so a precise volume will be difficult to get.

Also, I can't go larger. This is for the hatch of a Prius C and I'm trying not to lose storage area. The box will be molded to the tire well, then a space for the spare molded into the box.

What problems do people see with this box design/specs?

box specs.jpg

The main problem I see is that neither of us know what space are you working with, what I can do is tell you the size of a regular box that meet the specs you need to get low:

So box specs are 1.75 net @30Hz 22 square inches of port area.

The box size you would need to fit is:   14 H  x  28W  x  14D

So how big is that for your trunk size?

The top part has 22"x38"x6.5" to work with. I might be able to make it 6.75" tall, but definitely not taller. About 2.17ft^3

The tire well area will be fiberglassed and get the reminder of the volume required. It's 25"x25" and 0.5-7" deep. This should be 1.3ft^3.

The spare tire takes away 1.3 ft^3 from the top portion

The port is a bit trickier. I'm trying to keep port size down to minimize port length. WinISD and Triticum calculator both show a 18 sq.in port will keep speeds under 30m/s. Above 33Hz port speed is <20m/s. The box is in a hatch area, I shouldn't have port noise issues. I'll lose about 0.4 ft^3 for the port.

2.17+1.3-1.3-.4= 1.77 ft^3 final box volume. There are a couple areas that will add a bit more volume to it, while the sub will take away 0.105 ft^3.  Due to all the irregular shapes I won't have a good estimate of volume until it is mostly built.

Archived