Second Skin Audio

Metalheads with Epicenters please chime in

Donnie

Hello everyone first post yay! I'll get to the point now. Been out of the game for a long time, at least since the early 2000s but now I want to play again so I've been gathering up a system a bit a time. Now while I listen to many different types of music, virtually all it uses actual instruments so no deep deep electronic bass, hence the need for an Epicenter to enhance the bottom end a bit. I have two Sundown E series v4 10" to be powered by a Skar RP2000 @ 2ohms but no enclosure yet so my question is where should I tune it. Normally I would go with 37hz or so but to fully take advantage of the epicenter (which I have zero experience with), others have said 32hz. I may just split the difference and go with 35hz. What do you all think about that? 

If you are using a stock head unit you will usually need bass restoration, that will be the main reason, this is independent of your box specs, manufacturer recommended specs for your subs are:

Box Recommendations:

• Sealed: 0.5 cu ft
  • Ported: 1.0 cu ft
  • Displacement: 0.11 ft^3
  • Cutout Diameter: 8-7/8"
  • Outside Diameter: 10"
  • Depth: 5 5/8"
  • Recommended Tuning: 32hz
  • Recommended Port Area: 16 in^2

If you want to play all kinds of music keep your tuning in the low 30s but remember, net volume and port area are just as important, smaller than recommended boxes will lack deeper bass. if you need some help creating your box let me know. You can also check the sundown website for box plans.

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have an aftermarket deck and am doing this mainly to add some depth to older recordings. I have  everything ready to go for the construction of the box, just wondering if the inclusion of an Epicenter should effect tuning or not. I will probably go with 32ish to play it safe but I'm afraid I'll be giving up that 40-35hz kick drum THUMP. I'm probably overthinking things I tend to do that.

The use of bass restoration has nothing to do with the tuning of your box. Said that, it would make no sense to add bass restoration and then tune to 50Hz.

If you are going to get kick drums to play nice or not is a question of enclosure design, driver selection and such, more specifically you want to keep your group delay low, sealed enclosures will play best that "fast bass" but properly designed ported boxes can too just need more attention to perform as expected and lots of experimentation and sometimes using sound quality drivers. Again nothing to do with bass restoration.

Thanks again man I do appreciate the input. I believe I will do as you suggested and tune low around 32hz and this should also minimize the chance of the sub unloading from what I understand. Just an FYI but the cutout diameter most often given for these is wrong it's actually 9.2" for the version four I got that right from Sundown. Thanks again.

Archived