Battery Voltage on Ground Port of Amp

Desperately need to get some help. Hopefully I’m posting in the right spot been awhile since I’ve been here. I’m installing a system in my 2008 S550 Benz. I’m using a Lc2i Pro to planet audio bb2400.1 amp. I have a good ground and fused battery connection. I test my ground with a power probe it shows ground and I test my battery cable and also shows good 12+ volts. When I connect ground to amp, the ground reads as ground. When I connect the power(battery) cable to the amp the ground becomes a positive 7volts. I’ve tested my setup with another amp and same thing happened. So I put back my planet audio amp and it worked I was bumping but then the sub went boom boom and green light on amp was on but blue leds were not. I then supplied ground from the power probe to ground port with my ground wire on amp and everything worked and sub played again. I released ground with the power probe sub made  sound and did a boom boom again and amp “ON” light was green and no blue leds again. I have no idea why battery voltage is showing on the amp ground side only when I connect the battery cable. But then I supply ground through power probe to my amp with the ground connected and it works like nothings wrong. 

To verify: With the ground cable disconnected, the ground terminal on your amplifier reads 7v when 12v is supplied, then returns to 0v once the amp is grounded, at which point it works as normal?

Water Bear nailed it on the other forum! I cross posted this. I had a bad ground which I was assuming was good. What happened was my ground port on the amp would get a reading of 7 volts when I would connect battery cable. Remove battery cable and ground returned to ground which out voltage. I connected ground directly to battery as water bear recommended and all worked okay. I did end up finding a factory ground in my spare wheel well which is what I’m using now. All good and working again.

Archived