Sonic Electronix

Need help or suggestions with new setup

So just upgraded my system from 2 Skar VXF 12’s, RP 4500 running at 0.5 ohms, 3 AGM batteries, AC LCI Pro. Custom birch box 35w, 14H, 28D. 60sqinch of port. 
This system slammed hard had tons of people complement it and was shocked by it.  Year passes and I decide it’s time to get some good upgrades. 

went with 2 12” B2 Audio Rage XL’s dual 2 ohm in a custom MDF box designed by Houston audio labs, 2x Sundown Audio SFB 8000 running 1ohm to each sub, 128AH’s of Headway lithium 2x  dual 1/0 runs to each amp  same Lci2 pro coming off stock head unit. While I know this system is still breaking in. It just seems like these subs just aren’t hitting as loud or as low as the VXF did. I’m not for sure if it’s because they need to be broken in more or even though they are more than twice the price of the Skar they just weren’t the upgrade I thought they would be. Amps are tuned using a DMM just like my skar setup was. RCA voltage output is good amp output is good. Oh yeah subs are facing forward port forward trunk sealed up. Anyone have any suggestions on stuff I can check or should I have gone with different subs? 

79EEBD78-6E74-4E5C-8D4E-E4B96E1A7E54.jpeg

B993EA9D-6E43-472B-BCB9-87C86DD68036.jpeg

The only thing that I can see that could be the issue is how you set your gains. Using the AMM1 ? Since each amp is running each sub independently. How do you know if the gains are matched for each sub. You may not be clipping but the voltage on each sub maybe different.

Can we assume box tuning is the same for both boxes? Also did they do the original design for the Skar subs?

51 minutes ago, pnutz37 said:

The only thing that I can see that could be the issue is how you set your gains. Using the AMM1 ? Since each amp is running each sub independently. How do you know if the gains are matched for each sub. You may not be clipping but the voltage on each sub maybe different.

Can we assume box tuning is the same for both boxes? Also did they do the original design for the Skar subs?

I knew that I would be suggested to set gains with a AMM1. I set gains using the DMM played a 40hz test tune set the volume on my radio and tuned the LCI2 pro until just before it’s clip lite came on this is giving me about 3.9-4.0 volts out of the RCA’s. I then calculated the square root of 4000 watts which is 63.2 volts and set each amps gain to match that voltage. One Amps gain is about 1/4 of the way up the other just a tad bit more. I then set my LPF/HPF-subsonic filter. Using a 20hz test tune and 80hz test tune respectively.  If all this is incorrect please let me know . This is just how I do it until I get the SMD tools or whatever proper tools I need. 

I designed/built the box for the Skars, tuned to 33hz 

for these I originally step out of my comfort zone and built a box with an 8” octagon port but it was tuned to high for some reason. I messed up my calculations somewhere.  So I decided to let someone else that does designing full time seeing me one and I built it.  

after I made the post I went back out to double check everything and one thing I just happen to notice was as I had the system playing I popped the trunk to check something and the bass instantly got louder and cleaned up. So I guess my previous sealing job between the cabin and trunk needs to be rechecked or resealed. I know before when I had the skar subs i foam sealed off the trunk around the box and cabin and foamed the back deck. I could open the trunk and it would make zero difference as it was a good seal. So tomorrow I will reseal everything and I bet that helps alot and give the subs time to break in. I believe you design boxes correct? If so I can tell you the complete specs and if you think it needs to be rebuilt with different specs I can do that. 

16 hours ago, Tjuggs21 said:

I knew that I would be suggested to set gains with a AMM1. I set gains using the DMM played a 40hz test tune set the volume on my radio and tuned the LCI2 pro until just before it’s clip lite came on this is giving me about 3.9-4.0 volts out of the RCA’s. I then calculated the square root of 4000 watts which is 63.2 volts and set each amps gain to match that voltage. One Amps gain is about 1/4 of the way up the other just a tad bit more. I then set my LPF/HPF-subsonic filter. Using a 20hz test tune and 80hz test tune respectively.  If all this is incorrect please let me know . This is just how I do it until I get the SMD tools or whatever proper tools I need. 

I designed/built the box for the Skars, tuned to 33hz 

for these I originally step out of my comfort zone and built a box with an 8” octagon port but it was tuned to high for some reason. I messed up my calculations somewhere.  So I decided to let someone else that does designing full time seeing me one and I built it.  

after I made the post I went back out to double check everything and one thing I just happen to notice was as I had the system playing I popped the trunk to check something and the bass instantly got louder and cleaned up. So I guess my previous sealing job between the cabin and trunk needs to be rechecked or resealed. I know before when I had the skar subs i foam sealed off the trunk around the box and cabin and foamed the back deck. I could open the trunk and it would make zero difference as it was a good seal. So tomorrow I will reseal everything and I bet that helps alot and give the subs time to break in. I believe you design boxes correct? If so I can tell you the complete specs and if you think it needs to be rebuilt with different specs I can do that. 

As long as you have the gains at the same voltages that's the key. Most guys will use an oscilloscope DMM to make sure they don't have a clipped signal and then also use it to check the voltage at that point. 

I don't have any personal experience with Houston Audio Labs and their box designs. I haven't heard anything negative about them but I haven't seen any builds from them in person. If you have the plans and/or dimensions I could reverse calculate what I would deem to be the tuning and volume etc. I also don't know if they factor in for the power that you plan on running to the subs. 

Archived