Sonic Electronix

Hi, welcome, let me know the external dimensions of your box, the dimensions of the port H,W,L, wood thickness and what skar subs are those exactly and I will tell you if it's good and how will it play, also if the clearance to the rear gate of your vehicle is at least 4"  

• 2 weeks later...

3/4" birch, with 8" clearance to back hatch. Take into account the front to back length is now an inch shorter and the port is 4" from the back wall of the inside. The exact external measurement of my finished box are,  

27 3/4" depth, 18 3/8" tall with double baffling, and 41" wide.

Port external measurements in the box are 27 1/2" wide, 22 1/4" depth, and 4 3/4" tall.

And four 1 1/4" braces that are 11 1/2" tall (the height between top of port and base of double baffle. 

received_1654687614951709.jpeg

received_1175082923193569.png

Screenshot_20230211_070233_Chrome.jpg

According to what I see I seem to be an inch or more short on my measurements putting me under the 8cu requirements. Worst-case I'm wondering if I inverted my subs would I gain the airspace needed, or if I went with the zvx inverted, would I get somewhere near what I need to be at ? I was looking at recommended port volume, not box volume as well, so I'm not sure where I should be at any longer lol.

20230218_083125.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_070312_Chrome.jpg

Your measurements produce the following spec using 0.14 cubic feet for each of the 4 drivers:

Fb = 33.583 Hz
Vb = 7.434 ft^3

Vb Per Driver = 1.858 ft^3           --- > skar wants 3
Port Area Per Driver = 26 in^2   --- > skar wants 38

The port being at 4" from the back wall is not a problem, it is not choked, it will just tune a bit lower than specified.

Your box is heavily undersized for 12 ZVX drivers, reverse mounting  would not be enough to compensate,  if you used 3 drivers it would still be undersized.

A decent box for some DC Audio subs but not for this. I would look to sell that box and rebuild to proper spec for those subs.

Yes I guessed the 0.14, medium power 12s are around that usually, if you notice the displacements are given in liters, when you convert to cubic feet  4.25 Liters --->  0.15 cubic feet.

Since it's a very small difference my opinions remain the same as before, the numbers would change a tiny bit but would be inaudible.

Also notice that the VXF displacement is obviously wrong,  the 4 and the 1 were swapped most likely. It should read 4.12.

Archived