One of my wires in my subwoofer box is 14 gauge. How big of a deal is this?

Okay so I got two 12s competition wolfvenhags dual 4ohm voice coils. I've got them wired down to one ohm I had eight gauge wire going to them with a previous build but since then I bought in a new kit with wiring and everything. I've got zero gauge.

The kid came with speaker wire the whole time. I ran the eight gauge. I noticed that I couldn't quite fit it in the speaker terminals that come out of the box so I had to shave a little off so I went to the car audio shop down the road talk to a kid that worked in there and he said I shouldn't have any problem running 10 gauge wire that I didn't really need that bigger wire especially with older speakers he insisted that I'd be fine with just a 10 gauge wire. Well the kids that I purchased came with  10 gauge speaker wire.

So what I did was I re wired the box with the 10 gauge speaker wire and it seemed like everything fit Pretty decent now. The wire fits into the terminals coming out of the box pretty good and goes right to the amp. The only problem is I noticed for some reason there is a piece of 14 gauge wire inside the box going across, probably from one speaker to the next. Now I don't know why I would have left one wire in the box at 14 gauge and replaced the rest of it with 10 but for some reason that's what it appears happened. Maybe I had trouble getting the last connection on inside the box to fit properly.

Anyways, to get to the point here I guess my question is would it matter or even make much of a difference or be worth me pulling the speakers out of my car and rewiring them again with all 10 gauge wire and getting rid of that piece of 14 gauge? Or is  it not  going to make much of a difference? I mean we're not talking about 10,000 watt 15-in sundown audio speakers here.

I guess the question is how much efficiency am I really losing from this. Would my subs end up being a little louder if I just made sure all the gauge wiring was the same at 10 gauge? Or would it be more of a hassle for me to just rip the speakers out and start scoring around with the box again? Would it make that much of a difference and noticeable quality and loudness?

• jgi420 changed the title to One of my wires in my subwoofer box is 14 gauge. How big of a deal is this?

Archived