Second Skin Audio

What to do ???????

Kreg

I am currently running 3 Skar SDR 12s on a Skar RP2000.1  but I am thinking of going to the RP 4500.1 and either 3 more SDR 12  to or a total of 6 or replacing my current 3 SDRs with 3 of there EVL what do you all think would be better I know the 6 would have more cone area but the EVL have a 10mm increase in Xmax just wanted to get some opinions on this 

Thanks 

You don't want any subs in incorrect airspace so the first step is measuring your space and if you can mention what vehicle is it.

Said that almost any sub $100 subs are not even worth having much less in bad airspace,  Also odd number of subs usually do not best take advantage of amp power, two 15s are generally and incredible setup if you have the space, two 15 EVLs would very easily outperform the 3 SDRs in a box the same size 3 SDR 12s need and probably on the same power, as you know more power means also more expensive electrical.

I am running them in a Skar box  (SK3X12V)  in a 2019 Hyundai Veloster.  The real question hear is do you think the 3 EVL's or the 6 SDR would sound better / Hit harder?  

Can't directly answer your question but here is a comparison of each sub in the same box (2 cubic feet @32Hz 25 square inches of port area) on their respective rated power

SDR 12

SDR12.png

EVL 12

EVL12.png

The numbers are not important but the difference is. It's 3.4dB and it's mostly due to the higher power handling of the EVLs so you are doubling power but cone area remains the same.

In the second case you are doubling power but also you are doubling cone area, in this case the gain is 6 dB.

Roughly the 6 SDRs would be 2.6 dB louder than the 3 EVLs and that is not a very great difference at all but a difference still.

Now I think that the super small 3 sub box is by itself holding back your performance and using two of them if they even fit at all sound like a bad idea. In such a vehicle a 6 12' box should be a wall really.

If I did go with the 6 then a second box was the idea and it would fit but would just about be a wall as they would have to sit mostly in the back seat but I will probably go with the EVLs  with future plans of doing a wall with 3 more  EVLs or something along them lines but now I am even debating on the change to only pick up 3-4 db over what I have I will have to ponder over it .   I thank you discussing it with me hear is what it looks like now if you wondered

IMG_20230302_151541495.jpg

Looks great as is, maybe some VXF 12s could get you closer to a respectable gain, unhappily accurate specs for that box are not available, also there are DC audio which are higher tier subs that work on small boxes and handle a lot of power.

Archived