Sonic Electronix

Vintage Audiovox Head Unit HELPPP!

I am in need of some help or a definitive answer on whether or not I can wire a vintage (1982) Audiovox Head unit Model FO-DLXB to a modern amplifier. My concern is in regards to the radio not having the standard audio ground wires. There is only speaker + for audio outputs. The car does have a factory amp that the speakers ground through.

What is the solution to running this factory HU to new aftermarket amp/speakers as far as the audio ground signal is concerned? 

In my time searching for answers I found an old Audiovox AXT-500 amp manual on page 8 showing a NOTE: to only use speaker +  when using hi level inputs.... does such a thing still exist today?

Read online User's Manual for Audiovox Rampage AXT-550 Stereo Amplifier (manualbooms.com)

Thank you 

Dillon

The diagram is very clear, take the ground from the chassis of the head unit and then you connect those outputs ( and the ground ) to a LOC or to an amplifier that will take hi level inputs.

So yes you can connect that head unit to a modern amplifier but a modern head unit will get you way better results, would only make sense to me to try what you are looking to do is to preserve the original stock look.

In case you don't know what a LOC is, check the following:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-q4w56PZaqsN/learn/what-are-line-output-converters.html

Archived