Second Skin Audio

Help with ports on enclosure

Hello I’m in the process of designing a box for my sons Camry. I’ll be using a sundown U 12 with about 2000 watts going to it. I’m looking for a net volume of about 2.3 to 2.5. Box dimensions would be 38 wide by 13.5 tall by about 13 deep. I’ve built several sealed boxes over the years, but haven’t messed with ported stuff much I’m a little confused on port area versus lengths. For aesthetic reasons I’d like to have the sub in the center of the box with either aero ports or slot ports to either side of it if I was using two ports, what would be a good port size and length to get it tuned to around 34 Hz. From what I have tried to come up with aero ports would need to be too long to fit inside the box with the amount of port area I would need.

Your only option to do that would be two very long (20.5") 4" round port but that would not be enough port area for that sub on that power.

Two 5" PVC pipe (not easy to find) would work but each of the ports would be need to be about  33".

You can do anything you want if you think it's worth the effort, the simplest and best solution is doing a single slot port on the side with the box moved a little back to give the port clearance to breath properly.

Anyways here is 4.5" metallic pipe you can use, two of those wold give you enough port area and the ports wouldn't be a long as 5" pipe.

https://linedividers.com/products/4-1-2-od-schedule-40-steel-pipe-x-7-0

You could do two slots which would be inefficient and the inner end would probably meet on the back of the box or U turn them and add more efficiency problems.

You could do octoports if you have the tools and you know your way using them,

Archived