Second Skin Audio

Kicker L7 enclosure dual 12's ported

Shizzle

I am planning on making a box for my 2 Kicker L7 12's

It will be going in a 2015 Honda Accord Coupe

I plan on laying down the back seat.  I currently have a sealed box for the 12's, but I've always wanted ported.  I'm assuming its louder/better?  I'm running a Kicker SX 1250.1 to the 12's.  The 12's sounded great in the sealed box in my old Lexus IS, in the trunk, but ported would be nice to have.  I mainly listen to Rap/Hip hop and EDM.  Should I stick with the sealed box or go ported?  What direction should speakers/ports be facing in either application?  Thank you

Ported sounds way louder and bigger than sealed on the same power, sealed sound quality is better but ported sound nice enough for anyone who is not an audiophile type of guy.

If you don't seal off you aim your subs back closer to the rear end of your car to be louder (also true with sealed) but in the end you test and decide how you want them.

Absolutely try ported, if in the end you prefer sealed you still have your sealed box and then you sell the ported box, just bear in mind ported is a bigger box than sealed, it will fit your trunk no problem, but some people want the smallest box possible, to me the extra output is well worth giving up some space.

• 4 weeks later...

In a trunk car you fire subs forward sealed off or backwards, port can be on the baffle or firing sideways or firing through the rear deck, it all depends on the vehicle.

As for the subs they work in larger boxes, like 2.25 cubic feet per driver so no small box is recommended for these subs so you will need to figure out your space. 

Archived