82 Cutlass Ho Alternator

Hello everyone. First post here.

I'm going to be starting my build soon for my car. I've been looking for a high output alternator for some time now, but have failed in finding one for my year model (82 cutlass supreme brougham). I won't be needing an outrageously huge alternator, but one to help with voltage, because my stock 63 amp alternator just doesn't cut it.

The system will consist of two FI BL 12's on a Hifonics brutus 2600D. Then 2 high end amps for components.

The only other option I've found to get one is go to a junk yard to find an old Cadillac alternator, year model from 80 to 85 which come stock about 100 amps, and take it to a local guy in my town to get him to build it up to about 220 amps. A local car audio shop told me that an older Cadillac alternator will bolt right into my car.

Also suggestions on batteries. I'll need something that will have side mounts, and top posts. Optima yellow tops are the only batteries I've seen that have both top posts and side mounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello everyone. First post here.

I'm going to be starting my build soon for my car. I've been looking for a high output alternator for some time now, but have failed in finding one for my year model (82 cutlass supreme brougham). I won't be needing an outrageously huge alternator, but one to help with voltage, because my stock 63 amp alternator just doesn't cut it.

The system will consist of two FI BL 12's on a Hifonics brutus 2600D. Then 2 high end amps for components.

The only other option I've found to get one is go to a junk yard to find an old Cadillac alternator, year model from 80 to 85 which come stock about 100 amps, and take it to a local guy in my town to get him to build it up to about 220 amps. A local car audio shop told me that an older Cadillac alternator will bolt right into my car.

Also suggestions on batteries. I'll need something that will have side mounts, and top posts. Optima yellow tops are the only batteries I've seen that have both top posts and side mounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Which engine in this Cutlass? You have either a 10SI or a 15SI delco alternator. Most of the time a CS144 from a later Cadillac will fit, after a pulley change. A stock CS144 from a 1991 to 1995 Deville will give you 140 amps all day long. I would stay with a stock unit and add batteries.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

The engine is the 4.1 lt 260 V8. Smallest V8 Oldsmobile made, but the stock CS144 out of a Deville if I say go pick one up at auto zone or something, will it require a pulley change?

EDIT: Found this, will that work?

doesn't list amperage at idle.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

Or this? 155 amps at idle.

http://www.wagglepop.com/stores/Qualitypow...65850&data=

Edited by Mrbubbles00482

The engine is the 4.1 lt 260 V8. Smallest V8 Oldsmobile made, but the stock CS144 out of a Deville if I say go pick one up at auto zone or something, will it require a pulley change?

EDIT: Found this, will that work?

doesn't list amperage at idle.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

Or this? 155 amps at idle.

http://www.wagglepop.com/stores/Qualitypow...65850&data=

You have a 10SI unit right now. The CS144 has a serpentine pulley that needs to be changed. Not a big deal, just takes an impact wrench to do it. The stock CS144 is a good unit, you may not need anything bigger. Cadillacs have a lot of electrical junk that sucks power at idle, especially those 1990's boats...

You will need the mating plug to hook it up, and be sure to upgrade the battery to alternator cable. I can usually find a recently rebuilt CS144 in a caddy at the local Pic-A-Part for less than 40 bucks. They respond well t othe voltage increse as well.

'Link

Edited to add:

Look carefully at those links. One is selling a GM "type" alternator - code for chinese copy. The other is a zero feedback e-bay newbie selling a rebuilt unit for a lot of money. Start with a stock 144, and see what more than double your current output does first.

Edited by missinglink

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

So once I get a stock CS144, just swap the pulleys between it and my stock oldmobile alternator?

Also, I can't find the adapter plug your talking about...if you could help me find one it would be greatly appreciated.

This is what im looking for, correct?

91 Deville stock alternator.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail....=11&PTSet=A

Edited by Mrbubbles00482

So once I get a stock CS144, just swap the pulleys between it and my stock oldmobile alternator?

Also, I can't find the adapter plug your talking about...if you could help me find one it would be greatly appreciated.

This is what im looking for, correct?

91 Deville stock alternator.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail....=11&PTSet=A

This is the alternator Cadillac CS144 140 amp

The pulley from your old alternator should work, or you can use a ford 1G pulley if you have one laying around. The GM pulley may have a spacer behind it, just make sure that the center of the pulley you install clamps the fan - not the outside diameter. If the pulley is not supported in the center, the OD will push on the fan & distort it. If in doubt, have someone that knows how swap the pulley - many auto parts stores can do this.

The plug on the CS144 is a square, 4 cavity plug with one terminal larger than the rest. Your idiot light wire can be attached to the "L" terminal to fire the alternator up. If you want to run it from a switched ignition source, you must install a 510 ohm resistor in the "L" circuit. Some places carry the plug with a 4 wire pigtail, or you can cut one out of a junk car.

We make a plug & play module with the plug already attached, all it needs is a switched ignition connection - if you are looking to increse charging voltage as well.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

I found the pin out for the CS144 alternator. Only two of the four wires are used, or thats at least what I found.

S = Heavy gauge wire to the battery supply (loop back to post on back of alternator).

F = not used.

L = Small gauge wire that comes from the idiot light and energizes the alternator.

P = not used.

Where would the idiot light be that I'm going to use? thats the only thing I haven't found yet...

Edited by Mrbubbles00482

I found the pin out for the CS144 alternator. Only two of the four wires are used, or thats at least what I found.

S = Heavy gauge wire to the battery supply (loop back to post on back of alternator).

F = not used.

L = Small gauge wire that comes from the idiot light and energizes the alternator.

P = not used.

Where would the idiot light be that I'm going to use? thats the only thing I haven't found yet...

Many GM cars With a CS144 use only 1 wire - the "L" terminal. Your Cutlass should have a red light on the dash for "GEN" or "ALT". There should be a brown wire on your current alternator, about 18 gauge. It will be in the two wire plug for your alternator. This wire grounds through the "L" terminal, and causes the warning lamp to come on. You can simply splice the warning lamp wire on your car to the "L" terminal on the CS144 plug. The red wire in your old plug is hot, you can connect it to the S terminal if you like, or insulate it for safety.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

uh you can get a HO alt from anyone for that car....

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio