I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu with voltage fluctuation issues.    Once vehicle has been started and running voltage doesn't rise into the 13.8 volt area unless the headlights are turned on.   Turning the headlights off, voltage tends to drop to 12.2 or 12.3.    Back in June, I purchased an alternator from Brand X (270 amp) to replace the stock unit due to my current system have installed.  I have two JL audio 500/1  first generation Slash Series amplifiers to power two Massive GTX-104 10" inch subwoofers and a JL 300/4 4-channel first generation Slash Series amplifier.   I have a stock Interstate AGM battery which was fully charged before use of the Brand X alternator.  Upon start up, voltage risen to 14.2 and remained at 14.0 for a day or so, then started doing the voltage fluctuation again like it was doing with the stock alternator dropping back down in 12.3 unless if the headlights are turned on and it rises back into the 13 volt area.   Not sure if this is normal for the car's computer doing this to regulate the voltage but I need assistance on how to keep the voltage at where it should be so I won't damage my amplifiers.

You are running 1300W of power in your audio, no need for any other electrical upgrades if just playing music, No need to be checking your voltage unless something in your car is not working properly, the amps will work just fine in the 12-14V range no problem.

If you are just curious as to why the voltage is being regulated the way it does, just have your electrical checked and then ask your concerns, to me, if your car works fine and your audio works fine I would just leave it alone.

Edited by Joe X
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1