Controlling Mids and Highs

Ok so My Kenwood has active crossovers and "DTA".  I can keep my front and rear preouts or I can change it to a "3way" system. Where Tweets, Mids, Sub are my preouts. Theres no more Front and Rear Fade and DTA at that point. I was thinking of doing this and getting a 4 channel amp. Yet I like the DTA and some of the other features. Is there any benefits to a "3way" system opposed to having traditional front, rear , sub preouts? 

The 3 way mode lets you have a fully active front stage, no rear fill and a sub channel and for that you need a 4 channel amp and a sub amp. Likely you use that mode for a sound quality application.

Or you can choose two front channels, two rear channels and a sub channel to have the functions you like,  you also need 4 channel amp and a sub amp.

In the rare case you wanted a fully active front stage and a fully active rear fill you would need a couple of active 2 channel crossovers OR a multichannel DSP and two 4 channel amplifiers and a sub amp, you can use all the functions of your head unit and stay fully active BUT that is a lot of equipment to install. I don't know anyone running their system this way but it's possible.