Sonic Electronix

I'm building a ported enclosure for 1 12" EVL-12 2 ohm sub. The external dimensions are  24x15x19.66 and my net internal volume is 2.3ft³. I'm wondering if making my port area  35in² is too big? Or if that even matters. I'm new to this so any info. Would help. I think I attached a link to the design page for the box. 

Your net box volume is too high, it will play very peaky and lower sound quality (higher group delay), 2 net is maximum, port area 28-29 square inches is more than enough, larger port area than that is useless, the port gets longer and your external box size gets unnecessarily big, the longest port length I recommend is about 40 inches to avoid in-bandwidth port quarter wave resonances. 

I have found that with skar subs their larger size box recommendation is about right, unlike many manufacturers that suggest tight enclosures than what they should because most people prefer smaller boxes.

So 2.0 cubic feet net with 29 square inches of port area tuned to 32-34Hz is what would be my suggestion.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:15 PM, Joe X said:

Your net box volume is too high, it will play very peaky and lower sound quality (higher group delay), 2 net is maximum, port area 28-29 square inches is more than enough, larger port area than that is useless, the port gets longer and your external box size gets unnecessarily big, the longest port length I recommend is about 40 inches to avoid in-bandwidth port quarter wave resonances. 

I have found that with skar subs their larger size box recommendation is about right, unlike many manufacturers that suggest tight enclosures than what they should because most people prefer smaller boxes.

So 2.0 cubic feet net with 29 square inches of port area tuned to 32-34Hz is what would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the insight. I made some adjustments and it sounds great man. I may need a different amp eventually but overall I'm happy with it.