Second Skin Audio

Question regarding triticums port area calculator

I am attempting to build an enclosure and came across triticums port area calculator and i have a question. I am running stock alt so my electrical isnt the greatest. I am using a jp23 2300 rms at 14.4 2000 at 12v (or so they say, i believe its been dynoed with strong electrical to show it does more than rated but at like 14.6v or something.)

Since im running stock alt with 2 agms and big 3 i was told the most i will see off my 110amp alt is around 1300 to 1500rms at best running at 1 ohm after rise and everything. So the question is this:

For the power input in the calculator, do i enter 2300 or do i enter 1500 which is more of a realistic power number for my situation.  There is quite a big difference in port area needed between the 2 power levels. 

If the answer is use the rated power by the manu, in this case 2300, please explain why i would use that instead of a more accurate power reading.

Thank you

Edited by basshead4ever

Ok the proper port area based on the T/S parameters of that sub to get less than 25 m/s of port airspeed is as follows:

At 2500W RMS power :

2.0 cubic feet  = 35 square inches of port area.

2.5 cubic feet  = 37 square inches of port area.

At 1500 W RMS power:

2.0 cubic feet  = 28 square inches of port area.

2.5 cubic feet  = 30 square inches of port area.

I recommend to use the full power port area spec because at some point you may want or be able to run that power and you don't want the box to lose dBs due to low port area.

Also you should consider no less than 3/4 wood, double layer for the baffle  and strong cross bracing for your box.

Thank you for the reply

I am getting way higher numbers for port area than you using 2.2 as the net space and 1800 and also i tried 2300 and for example 2300rms at 2.2 for minimun i get 44 inches and optimal is 59. Tuning is at 33hz

I even tried 1500 and i get 35 for minimum and 48 for optimal. 

You dont even wanna know what i get for 2500rms LOL

How are you getting such low numbers?

Im assuming u are using a different program?

Edited by basshead4ever

Yes, I am using bassbox pro which you can buy if you want here: https://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

The results are custom to your sub electromechanical parameters that the manufacturer of the sub provides and the stated power and a tuning of 32Hz.

That calculator you are using is ok to use if you have an unknown subwoofer that you don't have any data on and you want an estimated port area to go by rather than picking a random number.

But as you can see it can lead to ridiculous results, if you did 59 square inches of port area the port would need to be extremely long and that would lead to poor performance and you could also get port resonances which absolutely you don't want,

I absolutely recommend going with the 2500W port area, about 35-38 square inches not the 1500W set.

I find the triticum caluclator doesnt factor in xmax and motor force and things like this as well and i believe those are important in determining the required port area

Now you said use the 35 to 38 sq inches of port for the 2500rms input vs the 28 to 30 with the 1500. So my question is this: if i use 38 sq inches of port but , at the moment, can only feed 1500rms, what will the audible result be as i have way more port area than i need?

Will i have less impact, less spl, etc? 

Thank u for all your help. I will aim to use actual program simulators like bbp instead of this calculator. 

A given port area for example 37 square inches will guarantee that you won't get port compression (output loss) or port noise in the 0-2500W RMS power range for a tuning of say 33Hz and a net vol of 2,2 cubic feet.

So running less power to a box that is designed to 2500W can't be considered as having excess port area when playing at a given power or have any consequence on how it plays.

Some people use port compression as a part of the design but that is a whole different topic,