Sonic Electronix

Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling not to blow mids or have horrible distortion. For reference, I am in a 2003 Silverado 2500HD single cab.

I have the LPF and HPF on the amps off and have the HU set to 80htz for both. Using a test tone, I used an oscilloscope at 75% of my head unit volume, which is 37, to set my gain on both amplifiers while using a test tone.

To my understanding, the DS18s should be able to handle everything the amp is throwing out as long as it's a clean signal, which to my knowledge it is. These are my second set of door speakers. The first was a pair of Skar component speakers and they had a terrible popping noise at 28ish volume. I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. The DS18s, have some weird noises to them at times. I'm tired of constantly replacing and buying new stuff. But I have done what I can with the research I've done. Any advice would be appreciated. I have added my equipment below.

EQ: Two DS18 Pro-x6.4bm 6.5 mids in the driver and passenger door. (These are wired to an active crossover with some cheap skar tweeter. I'm well aware i need to upgrade in that dept.)

Two Infinity REF3022CFX 3.5" coaxials in the driver and passenger B pillars. (These are just placeholders as i haven't figured out what to throw into the B pillars yet. Suggestions would be appreciated)

Skar VD 10 shallow mount 800 Watt

Skar RP.75ab 500 watt 4 channel amp

Skar RP-1200.1d Mono amp

Sony XAV-ax3200 headunit

Couple questions, in no particular order:

1. Is the input device you used for the test  tone the same as your playback device?

2. What was the amplitude and frequency of the test done?

3. Why 75% volume?

4. Could you elaborate on the popping noise? Is it an electrical popping like a loose connection? Blatant clipping? Bottom-out?

5. How were you measuring with the oscilloscope? Head unit preout, head unit speakers, output of the amp, etc

@SnowDrifter

1.) I use YouTube music as my streaming service. I got the test tones from YouTube music. 

2.) that I don’t know

3.) I read somewhere that a safe volume from the HU to prevent clipping is 75% of max. Maybe this was if you’re using the headunits amp? Not entirely sure. But I stuck with it. 

4. The popping sounds like a slapping noise almost. I’d imagine it’s clipping. It is not electrical. I do not have much expertise to really gauge what I think it is. Maybe a cheap speaker? I hear the popping on the infinities now. And the skars before I pulled them. 

5.) I am measuring output of the amp. It was a 50$ Amazon scope. Thinking about getting a dd1 

On 12/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, molly4lyfe said:

@SnowDrifter

1.) I use YouTube music as my streaming service. I got the test tones from YouTube music. 

2.) that I don’t know

3.) I read somewhere that a safe volume from the HU to prevent clipping is 75% of max. Maybe this was if you’re using the headunits amp? Not entirely sure. But I stuck with it. 

4. The popping sounds like a slapping noise almost. I’d imagine it’s clipping. It is not electrical. I do not have much expertise to really gauge what I think it is. Maybe a cheap speaker? I hear the popping on the infinities now. And the skars before I pulled them. 

5.) I am measuring output of the amp. It was a 50$ Amazon scope. Thinking about getting a dd1 

1. I'm guessing through your phone, then from there, bluetooth, AA/Carplay, aux cable, etc?

2. Have a link to the tone you used?

3. Honestly, this is something that needs to be measured

4. Are you able to visually check your speakers? I'm wondering if the high pass filter isn't low enough

5. Lets hold off on throwing money at the problem. Want to understand the full scope of what's going on first :)