Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

2 different amps. One or 2 subs.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I was recently given a kicker cx800.1 and I’m trying to see if I can use it in some way with my pioneer 800.1(forgot model but both 800rms @1 ohm). I have a sub but it is just temporary and I’ve always intended on upgrading. Would it be possible to use both amps to power a single 1500rms sub? I might be able to fit two subs and have one amp for each but I have limited space and a single 12 is filling most of the trunk so it would be easier for me if I could limit it to one sub. Any tips on electrical upgrades would be appreciated since I’m pretty sure I’ll need to. I could always just sell it, but I’d rather find a use for it. Any crazy ideas welcome. 

Posted

With a single D1 sub you could connect 1 amp to each coil of the sub and gain match the amps but that is theoretical, since they are different amps those differences would likely end up causing unpredictable issues. In any case having two subs and using 1 amp to each sub would be far safer specially if the box has separate chambers.

 

You are far better off selling the amps and getting a single amp to drive the sub or subs, a single skar 2000W amp is just a little over $200 new.

 

Also if you can't fit two 12s maybe you could fit a single 15", much louder than a single 12" on the same power.

 

Mixing stuff that was not meant to be mixed almost always lead to either bad performance or worse issues, my vote is just don't do it or think about doing it, do what you know it should be done and stay away from trouble.

 

 

 

Posted

Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll just do 2 12s in different enclosures. You’re right I shouldn’t try and force it to work. I just try to milk as much as I can out of what I got. Already have one in the car so another won’t be too much of an issue and I think I can make it fit. Maybe later sell some of it and go with a 15 for a little extra space and keep things simpler. 

Posted

Yes what you intend to do is safe, to get better results make sure you use the same sub model and the exact same box design and gain match the amps if possible.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 735 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...