Sundown Audio

Amp clips at Dynamic Kicks but not Lower frequencies

Question. I have an amp (DB ASA 4000.1)  that does 4000 RMS, and 2 kicker solo x 15” subs wired down to 1 ohm to the amp. Gain set to right before distortion with 40hz -10db test tone and Crossovers set to 25hz of my 30hz tuned box, 80hz for LPF. Using the SMD DD-1 & CC-1. Have 350 amp HO alternator with a 2nd battery XS power 3100 with a 630F  ultra cap bank. Im getting a soft clip at louder volumes 34/35 of 38. With Bass Knob turned half to 3/4 way up. I get soft clipping at dynamic kicks with like a flash of red clip light, and if i turn the volume or bass up more it will be more of a hard clip with a solid red clip light. Doesn’t clip with the more boomy bass, like 30-50hz . What’s the Best way to midigate to no clip without turning down gain and leaving power on the table. 

thanks

I would set clipping with knob at full. But do you. 

You could tweak your pass band, so your subs arent playing a "dynamic kick" but the low sub drum like they should, and your door/mids handle the upper "kick".  So, lower your low pass. 

Or you could retune with -7.5, or -5 ...... aka turn it down, EQ that out, if you have the ability (dsp and what not).   Turning it down, is no fun, so you could not worry about a slight clip here and there, and let it eat. And if it sounds good to you, roll with it. Im sure it will be fine.          Or it could unwind a coil. But im think youd be fine.  On long long plays, if you smell something, youll know. 

Up to you. 

Box (if it is in fact) tuned at 30, ......... turn that low pass down mate. Or, i would.  (low pass is at 60 here, i like my subs to play low frequencys, not try and make up for lacking mids) but, do you. Then you wont see it clip, but will lose some band/frequency you need to pick up with other drivers.   Its all up to you.