Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I need some assistance. I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner 3.0 V6 3VZE Manual. I am installing 2 Kicker L7 15" im a custom box. I am looking to upgrade my alternator to a high output for the sound system and later off road lighting. My question is with my 4runner should need or use a pcm bypass or a boosted harnees as stated in the website link? Would the pcm bypass or boosted harnees be comptible for my car?

-The link for the website:  https://crystalaudiosolutions.com/1993-1995-toyota-4runner-alternator/.

 

I appreciate any help that is given. Thank you

Edited by Justin.Obs
Posted

In your case, having to ask, I'd keep it as OE as possible, don't opt for the PCM bypass or their "boosted harness", which could trigger the CEL, and give you problems down the road with passing smog which will auto fail if the CEL is triggered.

With it being a 95, it's doubtful the alternator is even controlled by the PCM, but every vehicle is different. Depending on how much power you're pulling with the off road lighting, two extra batteries wired in for reserve should be plenty to keep voltage above 13v.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 110k miles | Stock

 

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr 4wd | 260k miles | JVC Head-unit

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 10/22/2025 at 1:14 PM, Justin.Obs said:

Hey guys, I need some assistance. I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner 3.0 V6 3VZE Manual. I am installing 2 Kicker L7 15" im a custom box. I am looking to upgrade my alternator to a high output for the sound system and later off road lighting. My question is with my 4runner should need or use a pcm bypass or a boosted harnees as stated in the website link? Would the pcm bypass or boosted harnees be comptible for my car?

-The link for the website:  https://crystalaudiosolutions.com/1993-1995-toyota-4runner-alternator/ run3

 

I appreciate any help that is given. Thank you

Hey man,

Nice setup you’re working on! Those L7 15s are going to hit hard. 🔊

For your ’95 4Runner 3.0 V6 (3VZE), you generally don’t need a PCM bypass or boosted harness, since your truck doesn’t use a PCM-controlled charging system — the alternator’s voltage regulation is handled internally.

Those bypass/boost harnesses are more for newer vehicles (2000s and up) where the PCM monitors or controls alternator output.

So, you can just go with the high-output alternator from Crystal Audio Solutions and wire it up normally — just make sure your “Big 3” upgrade (battery-to-chassis, engine ground, and alternator-to-battery wiring) is done with good gauge wire.

That’ll keep voltage stable when you’re pounding bass or running off-road lights later on.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Put a Mechman HO alternator on there with a battery isolator and add one or two gel-cells or lithium power cells.

Run your audio gear and 12v-16v accessories off of that, you'll have zero problems. 

Big 3 goes without saying.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1100 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...