Second Skin Audio

some new subwooferz

Currrently Im on a mission to find some new subz for next season.

I'm looking For 18's.

Whatever I choose needs to be able to handle around 4kw on music so far my search

has led me to the RE MT 18, I know for a fact that they will handle 4kw on music as I have seen it in

person in Steve's Tahoe, now we all know they are not designed for music but Steve doesnt have Issues with them.

I found a new company that makes some impressive looking subz http://www.ficaraudio.com/

they say on the site 2kw RMS but every sub is custom made to the customers needs

you can get them made to handle more power and they intrigue me.

this is the description for the sub im looking at the BTL18

The BTL Series does what others cant. It allows you to tailor your subwoofer for your exact extreme SPL needs. Starting with our standard double stacked motor and 8 layer flat wind voice coil, you can tweak things with a variety of options. Need more power handling? Add a chamfered pole or axial cooling channels. Need incredible Xmax to feed your 160dB at 20Hz obsession? Add a third magnet and our extended length coils (26mm of Xmax). With over 20 different options to choose from, we can build the exact sub you need to fuel your SPL fire.

I have also been looking at the Atomic APXx 18.

so I have some options, so what do you guys think??

would like to hear some of your opinions

I found a new company that makes some impressive looking subz http://www.ficaraudio.com/

they say on the site 2kw RMS but every sub is custom made to the customers needs

you can get them made to handle more power and they intrigue me.

this is the description for the sub im looking at the BTL18

Finally there out!! Screw RE. After going through missions looking for a decent price on the MTs, I could only find 1 or 2 things. I've been waiting for this company to finally come out.

Superior Sound, this is the company I was referring to that would go against RE ;D

I have been talking to them, I really like the way they took time out of there day to answer all of my questions.

the more I hear about the product and how they can make the sub fit my needs the more I really want to try them, they are  brand new to the market, but the people behind the company are not new to making subz which nullifies some of my fears on buying a new product.

for the price they win hands down, as for performance no one will know untill we see them in a vehicle. and Im seriously thinking about giving them a shot.

I can get 2 of thier 18's custom made to fit my needs for $1018 shipped to my door.

thats cheaper than both other companies I have been looking at.

what to do, what to do, I have time to figure it out before my rebuild starts as I wont be rebuilding anything untill after the west coast finally, but I have to say these subz have really piqued my interest.

X2, David...I totally agree with you. I have set my mind that I am not going to go with RE Audio. As much as I would love to have the MTs, I don't support the company. Simply because it isn't what it used to be.

I am undecided yet about these subs. I am really really tempted to give them a try ;D I've known about these for months now and have been waiting for them to come out...Decision time now...I got $700...should I sell the HCCA D5000...collect my next pay check and buy four of these??  ??? Or buy Two 18" Solo Xs ???

How much cubic ft do these suckers need for a ported box?

Well, I have nothing against RE, I know what the MT can do I have heard them in person and absolutly LOVED getting my head blown back by Steve's hoe. I got nothin but Respect for RE, and I may end up running them still, I havent decided agianst them at all.

The Atomic's are a great sub as well, I have never heard them play music like the RE MT's but I have seen them Burp a 161.1 while taking a shit load of power in a SS 1-2 car.

both subz are just a tad out of my price range, But I havent decided agianst them, Im just looking at all of my options before I spend some serious cash on some subs

Well, I have nothing against RE, I know what the MT can do I have heard them in person and absolutly LOVED getting my head blown back by Steve's hoe. I got nothin but Respect for RE, and I may end up running them still, I havent decided agianst them at all.

The Atomic's are a great sub as well, I have never heard them play music like the RE MT's but I have seen them Burp a 161.1 while taking a shit load of power in a SS 1-2 car.

both subz are just a tad out of my price range, But I havent decided agianst them, Im just looking at all of my options before I spend some serious cash on some subs

I love RE too, Just wish they would still offer us the old pricing. Atleast for the members that have been on the Official RE AUDIO forum. I wouldn't have to be thinking so much about what setup to run if the MT was still $500 shipped to my door :-

How much cubic ft do these suckers need for a ported box?

From an E-mail I got recently.

How much power are you looking at for the SSD subs?  While they make for great daily subs, they might not be the best in a SM 3-4 application. Usually we recommend 6-10 cuft per sub.  TS params will be up on the site shortly.  We have all the proto specs, but are currently breaking in and testing full production subs.  Takes a little time with only 3 large prosound amps and 24 hours of break in.  Please stay tuned to the site for TS updates as well as Tech articles about the BTL and other sub options.

Yea, I was looking at the cheaper line. Oh well, I can't get that much space out of the car anyway, unless I do some major cutting (which I am considering, but that'll only gain me 5 ft^3, maybe)

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia