Seleniums....

ptcary

So i was a little concerned about using horn tweeters in my wall for rear fill, because I knew they would be loud, but I just had to try em anyway :lol: .

So I ordered the Selenium 6W4P 6" midranges and a pair of the Selenium ST350 supertweeters from parts express.

Fisrt thing is these tweeters are huge :blink: , about the size of a decent 5" mid. The horn is removable and they are rebuildable, too.

I installed them in my in wall, and decided to hook them up to the rear channels of my Alpine head unit just to see what they can do.

The usable range of the 6" mid is 80-9000hz, and the tweeter 2500-20,000hz, so I used a 2 way crossover set at 5,000hz.

They are 8 ohm speakers and I also purposely installed them firing into my front seatbacks to keep them from overpowering my front 3-way stage.

Well, this morning on the way to work, I had the chance to test em, and they get LOUD! The tweets can hurt directly on axis, I was able to drop my trebble setting on the head unit down to -5 and still get decent sound from the tweeters, yes thay can get dirty loud if you turn the trebble all the way up, but I I have no need for that. The mid is very big sounding on the vocals, not really a midbass, but should improve when I get a small box built around the back of them, right now they are infinate baffle and open on the back.

I can wait to get my amps hooked up and throw 115 watts rms to each set.

Just wanted to post my inital experience, and add another happy Selenium customer to the list!

2008_06072008Feb0010.jpg

2008_06072008Feb0018.jpg

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

start of my panels.

my tweets are Power acoustic NX-5 bullets. to me they sound the same as most of the cheaper priced bullets (selenium, eminence, etc) and i wanted black, and the style tweets i have, so i went with these. ill be running very little power to the tweets....lol

DSCF2661.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm watching yours! If you haven't wired em up to anything yet, you're in for a treat! Midbass might not be quite as good depending on how you cross them over, but they're gonna scream vocals!

When I first saw your doors, i was wondering if you had considerred doing them 3-way with the forward most 6" getting midbass only. Not sure about that though.

You won't need a lot of power for the tweets, mine can hurt ears directly on axis with maybe 25 watts coming from an Alpine headunit, no amp. Thats why I aimed em into the seatback.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

im not sure yet how ill have them wired or anything. i do hav a 3way crossover though for the mids/tweets/subs

i was gonna get 2 8" seleniums, but it would have thrown off the symmetrical look of the 6" mids how they are laid out now...and i can barely fit the 6s..the 8's would have been harder..

they should have decent bass when its all sealed up behind the door. you should prally see a difference when you build a little enclosure for your's as well :)

Archived