Second Skin Audio

Box Concepts

As some of you might know I have recently been pulling my hair out about thinking and designs "different" boxes...

I have a couple questions for the pro's...

When designing a t-line, why 1/4 wave, why not 1/8th or what not

When using bandpass, any order, how do u determine the proper port area? use the same formula as a simple vented box?

I've also heard that doing a coat of resign on the sides of the port, and then sanding them to be extremely smooth (like using 220-320 sand paper), is this true...

So far I my two biggest accomplishments have been doing

1. a ~146 at 43hz, with 1 10" type r, on about 1,000-1,200 in a stock dodge magnum, no deading...

2. doing a mid 130 (dont remember exact db) with a 8" re re, at 23hz, super flat response, rolled off at about 65hz

Edited by Bigg Boy

Dodge Magnum with custom 300c front end, laid out on air bags

*4) 12" Cadence Daytona walled

*1) AudioQue 20k

*270a DC Power Alt (Dual coming soon)

I love quarter waves man, Iam diehard on them. You can do 1/8th wave, because when you do a quarter wave at say 40hz, depending on the subwoofer, it will go down to 20hz anyways in car response....

I do on a regular basis, 40hz tline bandpasses, but in car response is amazing with the right woofer...

My old home theater tline bandpass was 40hz tuned with a 20hz 3db gain on 250 watts, but boy did it shake the house from about 50-20hz easily...

its really trial and error

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

we'll say u do do a t-line with a wave length of 40hz at 1/4th wave technically u are having a full wave length of 200hz, the 4th harmonic, so if you do a 40hz t-line with a 1/8th wave length you technically have a full wave length of 360hz, the 8th harmonic....

So I guess what I'm saying a 1/8th wave t-line will have more harmonics to go down before reaching subsonic, so it will peak higher, but not all that much do to the fact of the woofers limits, and it still should have decently flat response...

or i'm i mistaken of how a t-line really works,

any one understand what I just said, its late, and idk if I even understand my self, haha....

*1) AudioQue 20k

tlines are all harmonics, only way it will be playing 160hz if its not crossed over, eq'd right, playing full range, etc etc

Tlines are all based on air vibration, if you can imagine, at tuning, a 40hz tline with a port area of like 150sq for a 15" (on average) all that air vibrating at tunning is alot more than what any ported box of equal size. Tlines dont always get louder than ported, but they are damn impressive.

Have a 8" with a 25hz quarter wave, and you can put alot of people 12s and 15s to shame, on half thier power

its all about air movement

If you want to get complicated, you can learn all the advanced math, but after about 5 years now, I can look at a subs specs, and see how the box/line should look in my head

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

know of any where we i can read up on this? and get the formulas

*1) AudioQue 20k

tlines are all harmonics, only way it will be playing 160hz if its not crossed over, eq'd right, playing full range, etc etc

Tlines are all based on air vibration, if you can imagine, at tuning, a 40hz tline with a port area of like 150sq for a 15" (on average) all that air vibrating at tunning is alot more than what any ported box of equal size. Tlines dont always get louder than ported, but they are damn impressive.

Have a 8" with a 25hz quarter wave, and you can put alot of people 12s and 15s to shame, on half thier power

its all about air movement

If you want to get complicated, you can learn all the advanced math, but after about 5 years now, I can look at a subs specs, and see how the box/line should look in my head

this is something I would love to learn... but I need better instructions. can some one make a t-line guide for dumbys like me??

mybannerglittercb195a90hm8.gif

I have one in the box design section

sundown.jpg

this is something I would love to learn... but I need better instructions. can some one make a t-line guide for dumbys like me??

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...?showtopic=1828

*1) AudioQue 20k

Forevrbumpn what do suspect will happen the freq response with the 1/8th wave vs 1/4 wave?

*1) AudioQue 20k