I had to do those same things because I'm on the Volunteer Fire Department here in my town. I was an athlete in high school and I run track in college so it wasn't too bad getting in shape. I actually grabbed an old fallen tree that I drug out of the woods behind my house and I pulled that around the yard. Try streghtening your lower back and abs. Work on your grip, and get in good running shape. I ran 3 miles, sometimes 5, alot, and atleast once every saturday morning. Hit the weight room too if you can. I ran stadiums with a sand bag (just the stuff from home depot for kid's sand boxes and stuff). It was the University stadium, and I think there were 88 steps.... It's an all around workout that pretty much helps with everything.

I modified and did what I learned from collegiate track practice, the "stadium workout:"

1) I ran up the stairs hitting each step while holding the sand bag, with a brisk walk back down, and then took about a 15 second rest,

2) Next I did same thing, run up the stadiums steps holding the sad bag, but skip every step. Again, a brisk walk back down, and another short rest.

3) I put the bag down, and ran up the steps (without the bag) making sure to hit EVERY step with BOTH feet. (essentially doing 2x as many steps as before. This is NOT the same thing as step 1)

4) Pick up the bag again, turn to the right, and go op the stairs sideways. Make sure your feet don't cross when you are going up. It should be a "galloping" or "hop/skip" motion going up. Walk briskly back down, and take a couple second rest.

5) See step 4 but turn to the left.

6) When you get back down, do not take a break. Run one lap around the track (400 meters), without the sand bag. It does not need to be all out, but if you want to get better, you can push yourself. Do not use this as a break.

7) Do 30 push-ups, and 30 sit-ups. Take a nice easy walk back to the stadium. This step is used as your break. These 7 steps are what we call one "circuit." Three circuits make up the "stadium workout.

-You can adjust the breaks as you see fit, although you should decrease your break the more you do it. You can also adjust the number of sit-ups and push-ups as you see fit, and add other exercizes as you wish. You can adjust the amount of stairs you climb as well, start out with half, then increase as you get stronger and more in shape. Expirament with holding the bag in different ways, just make sure you do it just as you would carry the hose.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember off of the top of my head. I hope this helps and Good luck!

EDIT:

well see heres the thing about distance running and firefighting. they dont go together. On scene they do not run for 2 miles to get to a fire. they sprint short distances to get things in a hurry in full turnout gear. hence the vest. Thats why i didnt add that. plus all the stadiums and power walking will suffice for cardio especially with teh vest..

Ah, yes, a lot of sprinting, but when you are running up and down those stairs, running from place to place in all that gear, it gets to you. Sure the stadium workout works the cardio. I agree with that. But I believe that all that extra running I was doing, really helped me out. It helps by getting you in shape without the strain on your body, reducing the risk of injury. I know you need a break every now and then, and the running was my break. It felt easy after the pulling and the stadium workout, but I was still getting in shape and doing work while my body is like, "Oh, this feels good, this is easy..."

I don't know if that made any sence at all but that's how I felt about it. But it's your body, if you don't think you need it then thats your decision.

Edited by sdrawkcaB

Custom 1977 Chevy Nova Show Car:

(1) Kenwood KDC-MP638U Head Unit

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

(2) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" P3D412

(1) Rockford Fosgate P1000.1bd @ 1ohm

(1) Rockford Fosgate PEQ Bass Remote

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor RFC1D

All Rockford Fosgate 4AWG Power/Ground wire

Under construction:

(2) Rockford Fosgate P162C 6.0" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers up front

(2) Rockford Fosgate P1694C 6"x9" 4-Way Full-Range Speakers in the back

EVERYTHING hidden to maintain authentic look

I had to do those same things because I'm on the Volunteer Fire Department here in my town. I was an athlete in high school and I run track in college so it wasn't too bad getting in shape. I actually grabbed an old fallen tree that I drug out of the woods behind my house and I pulled that around the yard. Try streghtening your lower back and abs. Work on your grip, and get in good running shape. I ran 3 miles, sometimes 5, alot, and atleast once every saturday morning. Hit the weight room too if you can. I ran stadiums with a sand bag (just the stuff from home depot for kid's sand boxes and stuff). It was the University stadium, and I think there were 88 steps.... It's an all around workout that pretty much helps with everything.

I modified and did what I learned from collegiate track practice, the "stadium workout:"

1) I ran up the stairs hitting each step while holding the sand bag, with a brisk walk back down, and then took about a 15 second rest,

2) Next I did same thing, run up the stadiums steps holding the sad bag, but skip every step. Again, a brisk walk back down, and another short rest.

3) I put the bag down, and ran up the steps (without the bag) making sure to hit EVERY step with BOTH feet. (essentially doing 2x as many steps as before. This is NOT the same thing as step 1)

4) Pick up the bag again, turn to the right, and go op the stairs sideways. Make sure your feet don't cross when you are going up. It should be a "galloping" or "hop/skip" motion going up. Walk briskly back down, and take a couple second rest.

5) See step 4 but turn to the left.

6) When you get back down, do not take a break. Run one lap around the track (400 meters), without the sand bag. It does not need to be all out, but if you want to get better, you can push yourself. Do not use this as a break.

7) Do 30 push-ups, and 30 sit-ups. Take a nice easy walk back to the stadium. This step is used as your break. These 7 steps are what we call one "circuit." Three circuits make up the "stadium workout.

-You can adjust the breaks as you see fit, although you should decrease your break the more you do it. You can also adjust the number of sit-ups and push-ups as you see fit, and add other exercizes as you wish. You can adjust the amount of stairs you climb as well, start out with half, then increase as you get stronger and more in shape. Expirament with holding the bag in different ways, just make sure you do it just as you would carry the hose.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember off of the top of my head. I hope this helps and Good luck!

a very well thought out post thank you for that. allthough a sand bag in front of you is a good way to injure your back.

a very well thought out post thank you for that. allthough a sand bag in front of you is a good way to injure your back.

See my edit above for further advice.

Also about carrying the sand bag, I "pretended" like it was the coil of hose, I carried it like I would carry the hose. This also helped my grip. I apologize for not clairifying that.

Edited by sdrawkcaB

Custom 1977 Chevy Nova Show Car:

(1) Kenwood KDC-MP638U Head Unit

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

(2) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" P3D412

(1) Rockford Fosgate P1000.1bd @ 1ohm

(1) Rockford Fosgate PEQ Bass Remote

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor RFC1D

All Rockford Fosgate 4AWG Power/Ground wire

Under construction:

(2) Rockford Fosgate P162C 6.0" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers up front

(2) Rockford Fosgate P1694C 6"x9" 4-Way Full-Range Speakers in the back

EVERYTHING hidden to maintain authentic look

See my edit above for further advice.

Also about carrying the sand bag, I "pretended" like it was the coil of hose, I carried it like I would carry the hose. This also helped my grip. I apologize for not clairifying that.

saw the edit and I might do a lil bit of light jogging without teh vest on as my cool down

Edited by focalrock4life

simple shit like stay hydrated...lots of water

x2 salt salt and more salt. electrolytes. man up and do it. if you want it bad enough youll make it happen.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

Im a volunteer FF/Rescue Tech myself...Others may disagree but you need to work up your endurance...Push ups...pull ups, sit ups and running...that is all...

Also as big as the academy down there is, they should work out sesions run by them that you could go to...and from reading your test, there is nothing in there that you cant do, all very achievable...

Up here in Montgomery County, the has this...

Stair climb,

Hose drag,

Equipment carry,

Ladder raise and extension,

Forcible entry;

Search, Rescue drag and

Ceiling breach and pull.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Im a volunteer FF/Rescue Tech myself...Others may disagree but you need to work up your endurance...Push ups...pull ups, sit ups and running...that is all...

Also as big as the academy down there is, they should work out sesions run by them that you could go to...Dont sweat it, its not that hard...

I plan to do just that, but with the weighted vest except for the running part. I want to be the top or close to it because they only take the students with the best score on the written and best times on the fire test so thats what im stresing about. Im not stressed wondering if I can do it, I know I can, I just want to do it faster than everyone else ya know?

better yet...go to your local fire dept and ask them for a 50 ft section of 5 inch hose...Run that for as long as you can...Trust me, it works...The vest doesnt do much IMO because you wont even be tired from the stair climb...and also the vest doesnt simulate pulling a hose as there is no resistance...soooo...just stick with the push up sit up pull up running combo...And yes, you need to run...that is how you get the fastest time...Next comes technique...try to find things that simulate the test...Can you run through the course before your test? if so i would practice that bish until i passed out..Remeber it is a competition ;)

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D