Second Skin Audio

Subs Facing Forward Or Backward, (in A Single Cab)

Hey guys, this question kinda changes things around. I've seen a lots of times where someone will ask this question but in reference to a car or somewhat larger vehicle. My question is, do the rules still apply the same when it comes to an install behind the seats of a singlecab?

I've been tossing around design ideas in my head and I'm finally deciding on a fiberglass enclosure mainly for the aesthetics appeal, but also because it will allow more flexibility when it comes to mounting my cap and amp to the box as well. Anyway, back to the topic, I saw in LSN2meBoom916's build thread a box he built (for a crew cab I believe) in which the subs were facing the rear wall. He gave me the approval to use his picture so that I might help explain what I was getting at in this thread. Here's the box in relation to the topic,

8fc3scd.jpg

It's a unique design in that I've yet to have seen a slope box for behind a seat in a pickup that the subs were facing the rear wall. I asked him how he felt about the sound from this configuration and here's his response,

One MAIN thing to consider with this type of box/vehicle environment is what type of output you need/want to achieve...

"Big bass" means lots of air movement/displacement and for that you need either lots of SD or lots of excursion+an open enough path for the bass to get around inside the cab...so keep in mind, putting a sub very close or up against a wall will lessen the lower bass output but can enhance the midbass or punchiness.

In my case w/ this truck that was goal, so using 8's and having the subs pressed up against the back wall or seats was ok....I would do some testing with this if you can b4 you settle on a full speed ahead design, just so you're not dissapointed.

In my other thread about what were good quality subs for the price range I was looking at I got tons of great feedback, and a PM to rusty about DC subs has now turned my full attention towards the DC route. I'm about 95% settled on them at the moment, DC level 2 10's. If I were to do this box with the subs facing the rear wall I would no doubt have to ensure that I don't let the excursion come close to the wall itself, so certainly some extra inch or more would have to keep them away from the wall. Also, considering LSN2meBoom916's advice I would also need to allow room for the air to flow from out behind the box as well, and I'm not sure if all of the added total depth of the entire enclosure is what I want in my truck. I like the option of being able to move my seats back considerably.

My other option with the box would be the standard seat facing configuration. I would still plan for a fiberglass enclosure with as much amp and cap mounting space, and would use grills to cover the subs for sure.

So my main question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages to going either route? I've had MUCH experience with the standard (sub facing the seat) configuration in single cabs, but never with the subs facing the back wall.

Thanks.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Got my attention, i'm wondering the same as well

It's definitely one of those questions you don't see often, haha. :D

I'm considering to flip my boxes in my truck after work to try and see if they make a difference. I'm thinking how I'm going to do it and my idea is pretty ghetto so I'll be sure to take some pictures for the laugh factor. ;) (There could quite possibly be some duct tape involved... No promises though...)

In the meantime, how about some more input guys?

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

It's definitely one of those questions you don't see often, haha. :D

I'm considering to flip my boxes in my truck after work to try and see if they make a difference. I'm thinking how I'm going to do it and my idea is pretty ghetto so I'll be sure to take some pictures for the laugh factor. ;) (There could quite possibly be some duct tape involved... No promises though...)

In the meantime, how about some more input guys?

Let me know how it sounds, i think if I reversed them it would work out good because I wouldn't have to worry about the excursion of the subs touching the seat.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Let me know how it sounds, i think if I reversed them it would work out good because I wouldn't have to worry about the excursion of the subs touching the seat.

That's true, but just creates the new problem of worrying about the excursion touching the back wall. ;)

By the way, I just tried out flipping my boxes and got some pictures and videos which I'll post up tonight. Personally with my setup the only thing I noticed was that my back wall flexed and made the plastic piece inside rattle, as well as I felt most of the vibration on the ass part of the seat and not the back. I'm starting to think maybe it would just be better to go the traditional configuration.

Either way, if anyone knows of more advantages to the topic please post them, I'll have my videos and pics up later on tonight. :D

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Ok, here's my results from trying out this today. Sorry but I didn't have access to the good camera today so I had to use my phone for the pictures and videos.

Like I said, the main difference I noticed was that my rear wall vibrated more directly both with my sub phase at 0 and 180 degrees.

Just for the funniness of how I did this I took the pictures. ;)

Here's a pic of how my subs are before.

0718081859.jpg

Then here's after I turned the boxes around. I had to hold them up while I pushed the seats back to hold them in the up position.

0718081902.jpg

0718081905.jpg

Now here's the videos. The audio is whack with the crappy cell phone mic, but I can't complain too much.

th_0718081909.jpg

If you notice in the video I gotta represent that 1/8 tank of gas, that's how we roll. ;)

No joking at all but the videos SUCK big time considering the audio... :(

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Guest aseanj52

Well from what i've been seeing in standard cabs, facing them towards the floor with about 3-4 inches of clearance has sounded "better" then towards seat or back. Unless how ever back is very solid, with like Hushmat, or Dynamat to keep it from flexing at all. And towards the seat, the seat absorbs a good bit of sound. All IMO of course.

Well from what i've been seeing in standard cabs, facing them towards the floor with about 3-4 inches of clearance has sounded "better" then towards seat or back. Unless how ever back is very solid, with like Hushmat, or Dynamat to keep it from flexing at all. And towards the seat, the seat absorbs a good bit of sound. All IMO of course.

I'll believe it, I've got a buddy with an extended cab in which his W3's are facing the floor and it sounds great.

I've yet to have seen that done in a regular cab, might you have any pictures?

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner