Sonic Electronix

Cross Overs And Tweeters, Problems Maybe

I have a interesting situation for you guys. I ran the imprint last week , and selected the listening area as the two front seats only. First let me say everything was working fine. I have read that running the imprint for the front seats only gives a more accurate soundstage and a all around more SQ performance for the front seat occupants . Here is what I am working with as far as components go. The 9887 , sundown SAX100.4 , set of JL XR653-CSi ( 3 way set comps ) up front, and a set of JL XR650-CSi ( 2 way comps ) in the rear seating area. Along with a pair of 12 inch type-Rs in the back. So , I ran the imprint and I noticed the drivers side rear set of comps were not playing very loud. , So much so when using the balance/fader settings, there was a very noticeable difference in not only clarity, but the range of sounds that were being played for every song. I chalked it up to time alignment and crossover settings within the imprint. I didn't like it. So today I ran the imprint again, this time four all four seating positions like I had it previously . Same problem. Drivers side rear set of comps not performing like the passenger side. And I noticed that the 6-3/4" woofer was sounding very muddy and sloppy afterwards, and once again the tweeter wasn't playing at all , just like it was under the previous imprint curves. I even tried turning the input voltage down on the 4 ch. amp a bit, and that helped with the 6 - 3/4" sounding sloppy , but I know that is not the fix. Here is the Kicker, when I turn the imprint off, the woofer and the tweeter seem to work. Now they don't sound as good as the passenger side, but both speakers seem to play none the less. So I am thinking , could it be possible that either I have a bad crossover box, or that maybe I have some how blown the woofer and the tweeter on the drivers side rear? I thought the JL comp sets had protection circuits built into the crossover boxes? Would it be worth my time to got out and swap crossover boxes around or try the tweeter on another crossover ? Is there any way to test the crossover box for problems ? and why , if the woofer is playing ( possibly blown? ) and the tweeter not playing at all in the imprint , and playing very weak under the deck settings without imprint ( possibly blown? ) , but the other side sounds fine, crystal clear even, and on the same set of rear channels on the same amp? I am thinking it is maybe a faulty crossover. I know, I really need to swap them out, but I was kinda hoping to be able to do some sort of test with a volt meter first...

After running the imprint, I think It may have realized something was wrong and just eliminated any signal goin to the tweeter on the drivers rear, cause the stereo as a whole sounds fine, you don't really notice it isn't playing until you put your ear up to the component set...

any ideas...????

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

anybody????

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

bro if the comp set works ok when the imprint is off, sounds like that's the problem and not the crossover box?

not sure if i understood u correcty here

~Matthew

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3L

(1) ScyTek Astra 4000RS-2W-1 2-Way Remote Start Alarm

with Shock and Proximity

(1) 20% Tint All Around (Gately Audio)

(1) 250 Amperage HO Alternator

(1) Big 3 Done In 1/0

(2) Kinetik HC2400 Power Cell

(1) Alpine IVA-D106 Receiver

(1) Peripheral Video Bypass Device

(4) Alpine SPS-17C2 Speakers

(1) Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface

(4) Sheets Dynamat Extreme; for speakers

(1) 10 Square Feet Hushmat (Trunk & Rear Deck)

(4) DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 Subwoofer w/ Level 5 Coils

(1) Wall Built By David, Tuned to 32 Hz

(1) Rockford Fosgate T40001bd Amplifier

(1) Stinger 1/0 Wiring (2 runs of + 2 runs of -)

(1) Stinger Volt Meter

Well with the imprint off I do get more sound and frequency out of the set, but it is no where near what the other side sounds like. It sounds weaker and more muffled , while the other side is nice and alive , if that makes any sense... I wont get home for another day or so, and I will have to swap crossovers first and see what I get....

My Kulicki Box Build

I will make some videos when I get back home so you guys can hear what it sounds like and make some conclusions from that ...

My Kulicki Box Build

check all your wiring connections too

let us know...

~Matthew

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3L

(1) ScyTek Astra 4000RS-2W-1 2-Way Remote Start Alarm

with Shock and Proximity

(1) 20% Tint All Around (Gately Audio)

(1) 250 Amperage HO Alternator

(1) Big 3 Done In 1/0

(2) Kinetik HC2400 Power Cell

(1) Alpine IVA-D106 Receiver

(1) Peripheral Video Bypass Device

(4) Alpine SPS-17C2 Speakers

(1) Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface

(4) Sheets Dynamat Extreme; for speakers

(1) 10 Square Feet Hushmat (Trunk & Rear Deck)

(4) DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 Subwoofer w/ Level 5 Coils

(1) Wall Built By David, Tuned to 32 Hz

(1) Rockford Fosgate T40001bd Amplifier

(1) Stinger 1/0 Wiring (2 runs of + 2 runs of -)

(1) Stinger Volt Meter

Okay so I went out there and did some testing and swapping stuff around to figure out the problem. The two videos below pretty much sum it all up. I first turned off the imprint and set the input voltage back to where I originally had it a few weeks ago. ( well I think, it seems about where I had it ) and took a moment to listen to the system, and the woofer sounded alot better on the drivers side. I think maybe I had the gain set a little too high and that particular set couldn't handle the power it was getting. with the gain backed down the woofer sounded alot better , almost as good as the other side does. you will be able to hear what I mean in the first of the two videos. With the imprint on, it just cuts the channel out almost completely. I then ( after filming the first video ) turned the imprint off, swapped out the crossovers and the drivers side crossover played both the tweeter and woofer on the passenger side just fine. So, that eliminated the crossover it self as the culprit. I then played the system at a low volume and unhooked the woofer on the driver side from the crossover, and the tweeter did not play at all. I then unhooked the tweeter from the crossover and could tell that the woofer/midrange was still doing all the work, , so I then ran a set of speaker wires from the passenger side tweeter to the crossover on the drivers side, and it played along with the drivers side woofer. Basically I think the tweeter just suffered a catastrophic failure, and blew. It find it odd though, cause the passenger side tweeter held up fine to the higher gain settings on the amp. Guess I just got a bad one from the start. Any input anyone?

Also , this pretty much proves that if something is wrong with a driver on the channel , running in passive , that the imprint will alter the out put of the woofer in the component set , I think simply because it detects that something is wrong, and the only way for the imprint to self correct is to just tune the system with out the channel being used. The only type of sound coming out of the woofer/midrange is very low frequencies and , when faded and balanced so that only that channel is playing, sounds like crap...

on to the videos. The first one is about two minutes long, before any testing, and the second one is about six minutes long, after turning the input voltage down, and running the imprint again...

Here is the first one, photobucket is giving me a fit trying to upload the second one.

th_DSCN1122.jpg

th_video001.jpg

My Kulicki Box Build

Once again the connections are solid. It is simply a blown tweeter, and the imprint only recognizes that something is not right with the channel and tries to mute the problem and tunes the system in such a way that the flaw will not be heard...

My Kulicki Box Build

Archived