Wanting To Put A New Alt On The Car

Well i am wanting to put a internally regulated alternator on my 1963 impala but i need some help on doing that i dont have a clue on how to do that i am planing on making a custom mount for a newer alt my external regulator has 4 wires going into to the side of it and a wire from the alt to regulator and then to the battery any help thax.

And sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Well i posted here is because i was thanking that mla would know more about this because they mess with alts and and stuff like this.

You don't need to do any re-wiring or making brackets. There is one that will bolt in and doesn't require any plug. PM'd you.

Well i am wanting to put a internally regulated alternator on my 1963 impala but i need some help on doing that i dont have a clue on how to do that i am planing on making a custom mount for a newer alt my external regulator has 4 wires going into to the side of it and a wire from the alt to regulator and then to the battery any help thax.

And sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Your best bet is an off the shelf CS144 from a full size GM vehicle. Most of the sideways FWD Caddilacs from th mid 1990's have 140 amp CS144's. Rebuilt units are available across the country at any chain store - many with a lifetime warranty. There are some so called "one wire" units sold online, but replacment units are not easy to find if one craps out on a trip. The stock unit is easy to find, and will deliver an honest 140 amps for long periods of time.

You will need the mating plug for the CS144, which has 3 small terminals, and one larger. The only wire you need to worry about is the one in the cavity marked "L". You will need a 470 ohm resistor between the L terminal and your 12v switched ignition source. The resistor is there to limit the collector current delivered to the regulator. Do not put 12 volts directly to the L terminal, you will blow the regulator up.

We also make a stand alone module for this application, which includes the current limiting for the regulator. It comes with the mating plug for the CS144, and you simply connect the module to a switched 12v source.

The 144 is a bolt on for the stock GM mounts.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived