Second Skin Audio

Which Direction To Face Port

It's vehicle dependent. Hatchbacks and SUV's usually get louder subs up port back, or subs up port up and trunk cars usually get loud subs and port forward or subs and port back. My trunk car gets louder sub and port sideways in the trunk. Like where most cars have the box facing back mine is loudest with it sideways in the trunk.

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

Majority of the time people put the port and sub on the same side of the box. Also have seen subs up, port back.

So is there a wrong way to face the port..

There isn't a right way or wrong way to point the port. You can point it in any direction you want. What is going to make a difference depends on you setup and vehicle.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

There isn't a right way or wrong way to point the port. You can point it in any direction you want. What is going to make a difference depends on you setup and vehicle.

True I wasn't very elaborate. This is why you see guys test and retest many times to figure out the right combination.

Edited by Audiobahnaholic

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

It's vehicle dependent. Hatchbacks and SUV's usually get louder subs up port back, or subs up port up and trunk cars usually get loud subs and port forward or subs and port back. My trunk car gets louder sub and port sideways in the trunk. Like where most cars have the box facing back mine is loudest with it sideways in the trunk.

This just goes to show that it really depends on the vehicle and setup because I am loudest with subs up ports forward.

Audiobahnaholic, I am not knocking anything you said. Just trying to make a point that each setup and vehicle is different.

V1G1LANT3, until you do your own testing your just playing a guessing game unless you have the same vehicle as someone else and you copy their setup design.

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

Thats funny, Audiobahnaholic and I are thinking alone the same line.

Currently Rebuilding....

I do box designs.

Bro, you wouldn't believe how many times I've tried the norm in my car and it didn't work, Subs and port forward was loud but lacked the low end, subs and port back rattled and that's about it, and I finally blew my two 12's got a 12" sony built a box and threw it in sideways to save some cargo area and bam it's louder than ever. I agree finding someone with close to the same car and setup will work best if you don't want to test, test, and test again.

Edited by Audiobahnaholic

Well this is in a 00-05 celica. It's hatchback...I cant test different ways because this is a fiberglass box formed to a certain area in my car.

CIMG2781.jpg

So there's how it is..rough and ugly right now.

I got the plexi window facing up against the rear seats. Original plan was to face sub/port back but now the spare that I decided to add in is in the way of the sub. So the sub hits the cargo cover now...which I may modify or just face the sub up.

If sub is up....port to rear or front?

I would personally do either sub and port up or sub up port back.

Thanks ^^

Now that I look at the space I have..I think I can only put the sub up.

Just need to make a port fit nicely in there somewhere. Originally was going with two 3x6x 21"long ports but it just takes up too much space. What's the smallest I can go on a port opening without getting port noise...2" with it rounded?