Mechman Alternator Help

all right so i just bought an alternator for my 97 ford f150. i had it for like a week but i didnt get to installing it till thursday. when i put it in it ran perfect idled at 14.3. well yesterday after just one day of use i start to smell burnt. then all of sudden i start to see smoke coming out of the hood. so i hurry up and pull over and pop the hood it was the alternator that was smoking up. i let it cool down alittle and it stopped smoking and my battery light went off as well. i drove it around a bit and it ran like normal. the next day (today) i went to check the voltage and now it was at 12.2. when looking at this i was thinking that my alternator went out but i had driven a good bit after the smoking and my battery hadnt died. wat do you guys think of this i had it running only a day. o i forgot to tell you that i ugraded the alternator wire but its not wire that burned i checked them when i pulled over they werent even hot . if you read this mechman help me out i left you a message on your vocemail.

What brand alternator was this? That sucks bro sorry to here that!

MLA

http://mechman.com/store/index.php

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

I was just clarifying what brand , the post never said exactly what brand alt it was. Just depends on how you read the topic I guess. Thanks.

Keep us posted, Hope it didn't hurt anything else mane. Good luck!!!!!

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Sounds like a smoked stator. Usually this is caused by depleating battery too far, then starting the vehicle. It can also be casued by poor connections on the ground or positive alternator cable.

Where is the alternator grounded?

Where does the positive cable run?

What size are the cables used?

Did you use the ring terminals provided in the kit?

How many watts?

How many batteries?

What was the lowest battery voltge that you encountered?

BTW, the alternator is most likely damaged, and you are just driving around on battery power, that is why your voltage is 12.2 volts. Give me a call or PM me so we can get you an RMA # for repair.

It could also have been the stator connections to the pos and neg diodes inside the alt.

Considering that they are soldered rectifier connections on a 4G Ford, that is likely not the case. (it not like an SI or CS where there could be loose nuts on the stator leads) We use solder with a melting temp of 450+ degrees, and at that point the stator laquer and insulator sleeves will be smoking like crazy. Thanks fot the input though.