Second Skin Audio

Do you use WinISD Pro Alpha?

After following Realmofexcursions tutorial on how to use WinISD i have one important question regarding the port length.

When you use the program it gives you a port length. When you are creating a port that bends or is in an elbow shape or whatever you want to call it...

ROE says you take the port length WinISD gave you, determine how long you want the depth to be of your port.

So lets say the port length the program gives you is 34 inches. and the depth you want for the first part of the port is 20 inches. Then you would have 14 inches left over

34-20=14

right so basically ROE says you take those lengths and that is what the measurements of the two boards are that you cut. You do have to measure though for wood displacement. So if you use .5 MDF wood the first board you would cut is 20.5 inches and the second board is 13.5 inches. you just have to make sure the port length is the length of the two boards. However i did think that the WinISD program could give you the port length and you cut the two boards to that length, and the length it gives you actually does incorporate the rest of the port, but they just give you that length and you cut hte boards to that length just to make it easier..?

Do you guys follow what ROE demonstrates?

Baylor University

Accounting

just wondering if I should take the port length the WindISD program gives me and use the way accordman said was right

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/forums/in...hp?topic=2854.0

the A+B+.5 of the width

Baylor University

Accounting

right so basically ROE says you take those lengths and that is what the measurements of the two boards are that you cut. You do have to measure though for wood displacement. So if you use .5 MDF wood the first board you would cut is 20.5 inches and the second board is 13.5 inches. you just have to make sure the port length is the length of the two boards. However i did think that the WinISD program could give you the port length and you cut the two boards to that length, and the length it gives you actually does incorporate the rest of the port, but they just give you that length and you cut hte boards to that length just to make it easier..?

Do you guys follow what ROE demonstrates?

When you have to make a port and it has to bend you measure in the middle of the port. The port walls will not necessecarily be the same length as the actual port. The way I do it is I measure and draw out the port on either the sides or botton, and from that I figure how I make the sides. I could write it out more detailed, but I dont want to take up too much room.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

yea i get it thanks man iw as just wondering about Realmofexcursion's tutorial on how to use WinISD. When you use it and get the port length, ROE said to make the port walls that length. So like if you are doing a bend port or elbow port whatever you call it (you know what im talking about) the port walls are the same length as the port length given to you from WinISD, which doesn't make sense. So i am just going to use the program to find the port length and then measure downt he middle and add .5 of the width.

Baylor University

Accounting

when WinISD gives you the port length, do you have to account for displacement after that or is that the correct internal port length and you do not need to change it at all?

Baylor University

Accounting

when you put in your port dimensions in the WinISD program, is that internal dimensions of the ports height and width (so in otherwords you are not putting in measurements that include the woods thickness), just the measurment internally?

Baylor University

Accounting

I have a question about WinISD...i know you can pick a subwoofer, and by doing so it will automatically put in the subs parameters and specifications. If the program does not have your sub, then you have to put in your subs specifications.

Well what if you just wanted to use the program to build a box and find out how long to make your port which in return tells you what your port is tuned to. Since the tuning of the port is all decided on the ports length (not necessarily but for the most part), given a width and height of the port, does it really even matter what parameters are in for the sub. I mean, aren't you going to get the same port tuning for a slot port with the same dimensions.

So, if all you are using the program for is to figure out how to build your box and build your port, do the specifications/parameters that you apply for your design really affect the port tuning?

Baylor University

Accounting