Second Skin Audio

Help With Designing Box For 1 Btl 18

Hi all, I am going to be building the sub box for my brothers system for him, but I need help with figuring out specs and dimensions etc, for the box.

The system consists of one BTL 18 dual 2 fully loaded, powered by one AudioQue 2200d. The system will be in the back of a 98 Ford Expedidtion, with the 3rd row seat removed, so basically plenty of room is available for the setup.

I have built a few boxes in my day and have done plenty of research on how to build and brace it, but I'm not a mathmetician and can't figure out how to calculate the proper size, thats where I need your help.

My brother just plans on using the sub daily to play his songs, mostly hip hop/rap, etc, and he just wants it loud and to sound good. I doubt he'll be going to any sound comps but I'll put in a bass cd every now and then.

From my research so far on this site, it looks like the ideal box size would be about 6-6.5 cu/ft., tuned to about 32-33 hz, but I'll leave that up to you as well.

So basically, if you can give me dimensions for the box and port, I can build it, I just have a hard time with all the calculations.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, but again, its a single BTL 18 dual 2 ohm, fully loaded, powered by a single AudioQue 2200d.

Thanks, Dan.

Your right, thats about what them subs like man

A simple sub up, port back, or sub/port back will work great

I would say at least 60-85sq inch of port

to make it easy on you, maybe 3- 6" Aero's to equal a solid 84sq inches of port

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

if possible, I would do about 48" wide, 20" tall 18" deep with 6" PVC or aeros, you will see something like 6.9cf with 3 ports@33hz

But then the ports would fire to the side

Me personally, I'am a fan of side firing ports, most people here will say no, because thats not something they are used to, but they definitely work great

if stuck on back firing it would be a L shaped port, or other

Edited by Forevrbumpn
sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

^^side firing ports for the good sounding win. :)

which BTL? this year's or last year's model? rule of thumb with the ports, aim for 7 - 11 sqin of port per cubic foot of box.

don't be scurred of the calculations, though. for internal volume, all it is, is length times width times height, then divided by 1728. shazzamn, you've got volume in cuft.

Get in the vehicle, take some dimensions, and give us more to work with in terms of "how much room is he willing to give up"

funk-o-meter.gifteamBNSpl.jpgfunk-o-meter.gif

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((in stereo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

team audio thugz uuUhhHhhHhh. straight ghanxstuh since 2007.

Alright I have some measurements now.

I have 48" wide x 20" tall x 36" deep. I say 20" tall b/c thats just about where the glass starts, and don't want to obstruct the view out of the rear window too much. And I say 36" deep, but I am leaving my self about 8-10" extra space for my extra battery, etc.

So there ya go, 48"w X 20"h X 36"d is the available space.

Thanks for the help fellas, Dan.

thats more than enough space after all displacement you would still have a box that is to big for 1 18 btl

Yeah I know that. 48x20x36 is 20 cuft.

I was doing some messing around came up with 36"w X 20h X 24"d, seems like a good sized box, but that still equals out to 10 cuft. Now after the displacement of the sub, and port(s), whereabouts would that put the cuft of the box?