Second Skin Audio

Custom Builts/hybrid Woofers

Whats involved with build a woofer from the ground up? I've always wanted to try to make a sub. I've watched the discovery channel thing, I must admit its pretty neat and there not as complex as I thought. Now I obliviously won't jump right in and do this right away, just wondering cause its interesting me..

Mach 5 Audio sells baskets, so I'd probably get baskets from him.

Has there ever been a 1 ohm SVC sub?

I know you have to shim your voice coil gaps.

And if you use a recone, you have to attach the spider (not sure about this) and attach the surround to the basket. Also you'd have to solder the tinsel leads?

I love to do things like this, to me this is how I'd learn.. only thing is IDK what I'd do with the sub when I get it done.. haha

Motor to basket, spider to coil, spider to basket, (assuming your using more then one spider) spider on top of other spider, cone to coil and basket, solder leads to coil, dust cap. This is assuming you have woven tinsel leads, if not it is a little different.

Oh and don't forget the felt pads on the cone.. Hah I do that everyday.. and all the little glueing here and there like on bottom and top of the cone to coil area, and ca over the soldered leads to coil region.. oh and lots of accelarator.

Edited by REVOK1NER

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

-20" RVM "Buck" Wheels

-2.5% Tint

-CompuStar Vizion Alarm

-(4) Infinity Kappa 680.7cs 5x7"

-1 XStatic BatCap Model 300

-2 18" DC LVL 4's

-Amps are undecided

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

There is more than just know what the parts do, but voice coil height, gap between windings and top plate and pole piece, magnetic fields, xmax -mechanical and electrical,learn how to weigh parts so you dont end up with a 500gram moving mass for a 10" or 12" subwoofer -lightness yet rigid always wins in high output, heavy with lots of excursion wins in maximum low end output (more based on home audio)

You have to understand what all the thiel small parameters mean, and how they work

Getting parts that you actually want is the hardest, most expensive part, you can get lucky buying random parts from friends, or manufacturers, and piecing them together, but it more than likely wont due what you want

All the companies I know for parts want a set up fee, and a min of 100 parts first order, and when a spider costs $5-8 a piece, that gets costly

Voice coils, $100-150 set up fee for the wire spinner, and about $20-50 a coil (descent)

Frames, like Mach 5 you can usually get away with thru companies 1 at a time- not factory mold companies, but the builder of the speakers

The hardest part- Motors- Magnets, top plates, back plates, the RIGHT glues to hold the magnets to the motor parts so they don't shift when charging.

And motors can be the most expensive over all $20-60 per magnet(slug) and same for any other part of the motor

To build just one of your own subs, the way you want, your design, is costly

I'am currently researching people to machine motor parts for me, myself- I found just the right guy for the job I think- I have something radical in mind

Just buying random common parts you can do, and get by, but if your expecting special specs, dont count on it

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

What speaker "Engineering" is, is this.....

Build a speaker that you think will work cool, test it on LMS/LEAP and find out maybe the Qts is .55 and your building a good sq sub with a very flat frequency response, you need to fin a way to get that Qts down to something like a 0.20-0.30 for something that you may want, you got to find out what to do to get that Qts down, Maybe using a lighter coil with less windings, and lighten up on the moving mass? or add to moving mass?

Got a Fs of 35, but want a Fs of 25, how do you change that?

ad a heavier coil, with more windings, and open up the gap a tad 0.010" on a metal lathe, and add more weight?

But anyways, definitely I have some parts, and know where to get parts if your interested

On hand I have a TON of carbon fiber 12" cones with rubber surrounds- I need to sell these things

I have a few quad coil spiders- quad woven lead spiders- not the best, but they work

a few 10" frames, and 12" frames, and 12" rubber wrap around gaskets

I have like 65 single 4ohm dual layer 2.5" coils that match those carbon fiber cones perfectly

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

What speaker "Engineering" is, is this.....

Build a speaker that you think will work cool, test it on LMS/LEAP and find out maybe the Qts is .55 and your building a good sq sub with a very flat frequency response, you need to fin a way to get that Qts down to something like a 0.20-0.30 for something that you may want, you got to find out what to do to get that Qts down, Maybe using a lighter coil with less windings, and lighten up on the moving mass? or add to moving mass?

Got a Fs of 35, but want a Fs of 25, how do you change that?

ad a heavier coil, with more windings, and open up the gap a tad 0.010" on a metal lathe, and add more weight?

But anyways, definitely I have some parts, and know where to get parts if your interested

On hand I have a TON of carbon fiber 12" cones with rubber surrounds- I need to sell these things

I have a few quad coil spiders- quad woven lead spiders- not the best, but they work

a few 10" frames, and 12" frames, and 12" rubber wrap around gaskets

I have like 65 single 4ohm dual layer 2.5" coils that match those carbon fiber cones perfectly

Well I guess I stated it wrong. I don't mean like make the motors and shit.. Like take a idk RE XXX motor and put it on a 18" basket with Fi sofparts... something like that...

What I'd really like to do, is do a 18" sub like the LVS MOJO I think it was, from Memphis. Sure triple baskets was rather impractical and pointless, but I'd like to do it for the sheer neatness of it, IMO.

Well I guess I stated it wrong. I don't mean like make the motors and shit.. Like take a idk RE XXX motor and put it on a 18" basket with Fi sofparts... something like that...

What I'd really like to do, is do a 18" sub like the LVS MOJO I think it was, from Memphis. Sure triple baskets was rather impractical and pointless, but I'd like to do it for the sheer neatness of it, IMO.

Well if that's what you want to do then I basically told you how to put it together, Plus there are a bunch of little technical things that if you ever get to that point you can ask here. I build subs all day everyday, very fun.

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

-20" RVM "Buck" Wheels

-2.5% Tint

-CompuStar Vizion Alarm

-(4) Infinity Kappa 680.7cs 5x7"

-1 XStatic BatCap Model 300

-2 18" DC LVL 4's

-Amps are undecided

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

lol... LVS, Iam toooo familiar with those on a first hand basis

from the LVS 12" to the Tripler 18

fun fun fun

sundown.jpg

I hope the XXX motor and Fi was just fun talk, unless your talking about the old school XXX motors

sundown.jpg

lol... LVS, Iam toooo familiar with those on a first hand basis

from the LVS 12" to the Tripler 18

fun fun fun

Yeah I'd like to do a triple basket 18..

IDK what I'd use it for... I'd just like to make somthing like that. I'd have to get a t/s parameter thing... (woofer tester you get from parts express)

Foreverbumpin, idk if I'd be able to tell you what I'd want and you assemble so much of the soft parts and stuff, and I buy it off you. kinda like a custom recone....

The LVS triple basket, is it two 12" baskets and a 18"?