Sundown Audio

Amp Problem!

DUBIE

today i installed a amp but only problem was the amp wouldnt turn on!...i re checked everything and everything is ok..the amp just turned on for 10 secs then it just turned off...it didnt go to protect mode or anything like that...any help would help!

Hard to give you any sort of advice with out knowing the amp brand and model, what speakers where being ran on the amp, what ohm load amp is being ran at, the headunit in the vehicle, the wiring upgrades etc...

First thing I would check is any fuses in the car, such as the radio fuse in the cars fuse block, bad relay on remote wire (if relay is used), blown fuse or bad connection on main power wire, a proper ground (metal on metal contact with no paint inbetween).

If all of the above is good, and you are positive you have power and ground, I would take a short piece of wire, and jump the b+ on the amp to the remote connection on the amp. If the amp powers up, you know you have something bad with your remote wire.

It is possible that the headunit remote output fried, the wire could of gotten crimped, cut, or jammed somewhere in the car etc.

ill take a pic and show it to you guys!...the amp wasnt wired to anything i just hooked it up for him while he gets hes subs...the amp turned on for 10 sec like i said earlier then it just turned off...i taught it was the remote but i checked it and it was fine...i checked RCA's and that was ok too...and he had a old sony headunit i dont know what series..but its really old...maybe tomorow ima check the fuses and see whats up...i couldnt see good cause it was getting late and dark too so i just told him to come tomorow.

its a jensen 600 watt 4 channel amp..bridgeable..it was wired to i believe 8 gauge power wire

Edited by DUBIE

well if tested the remote, ground and positive power wire, and tried jumping a short piece of wire from the amps positive terminal to the amps remote terminal and the amp still didnt turn on and all fuses are good the amp is broke.

By jumping the remote wire right off the power wire, you will be bypassing the remote turn on circuit in the headunit. So the headunit should have no say so in the matter.

Other thing you can try is unplugging the rca cords from the amp, maybe the rca cables are faulty and shorting out.

well if tested the remote, ground and positive power wire, and tried jumping a short piece of wire from the amps positive terminal to the amps remote terminal and the amp still didnt turn on and all fuses are good the amp is broke.

By jumping the remote wire right off the power wire, you will be bypassing the remote turn on circuit in the headunit. So the headunit should have no say so in the matter.

Other thing you can try is unplugging the rca cords from the amp, maybe the rca cables are faulty and shorting out.

i didnt know that bro..so by adding a wire to the power wire and hooking it up to the remote the amp could turned on too?..

but tomorow morning ima test it out in my car..ima wire it and see if the amp works or turns on..

would the battery be the problem too?.because the battery is HELLA SMALL!!...the car is a honda civic i think..i dont know what year..its like steve's honda..

no, the battery shouldnt matter since you said its a 4 channel amp, I dont antisipate the amp drawing to much current..

But yes, the remote wire is just a 12 volt switched positive. when the headunit comes on the circuit in the headunit sends a low amperage 12 volt signal through the remote wire to the amp telling the amp to turn on.

So like I said, jumping the 12 volt and the remote wire together on the amp will turn the amp on if the amp is not fried, there is a solid good ground, and there is a 12 volt signal from the power wire comming from the front.

If the amp turns on when you jump the wires it means 1 of 2 things.

1: the remote wire running from the headunit running to the amp is damaged.

2: the headunit remote turn on circuit is blown (sometimes they can blow pretty easy, by running to many amps off the headunit without a relay or not enough current to turn on multiple amps(like 4+ at one time), or if you accidently arch the remote wire on a grounding point when the headunit is on).

If the remote circuit on the headunit is blown, and your headunit still plays it does not mean you can no longer run a amp off it. You can simply wire up the remote wire to the 12 volt switched in the radios wiring harness ( it is the red wire). The only downfall on it is if you turn your cd player off the amp will stay on until the car/ignition is turned off.

Your other solution is to run a toggle switch on your remote wire, find a 12 volt positive source from your headunit (id recommend the ignition switched wire on your headunit again. The red one) and then splice off that wire to the switch, then run your remote on the other connector of the switch, then when you want the amp on or off you flip the switch. If you use the red ignition switched wire your amp will still turn off with the car no matter the position of the switch.

no, the battery shouldnt matter since you said its a 4 channel amp, I dont antisipate the amp drawing to much current..

But yes, the remote wire is just a 12 volt switched positive. when the headunit comes on the circuit in the headunit sends a low amperage 12 volt signal through the remote wire to the amp telling the amp to turn on.

So like I said, jumping the 12 volt and the remote wire together on the amp will turn the amp on if the amp is not fried, there is a solid good ground, and there is a 12 volt signal from the power wire comming from the front.

If the amp turns on when you jump the wires it means 1 of 2 things.

1: the remote wire running from the headunit running to the amp is damaged.

2: the headunit remote turn on circuit is blown (sometimes they can blow pretty easy, by running to many amps off the headunit without a relay or not enough current to turn on multiple amps(like 4+ at one time), or if you accidently arch the remote wire on a grounding point when the headunit is on).

If the remote circuit on the headunit is blown, and your headunit still plays it does not mean you can no longer run a amp off it. You can simply wire up the remote wire to the 12 volt switched in the radios wiring harness ( it is the red wire). The only downfall on it is if you turn your cd player off the amp will stay on until the car/ignition is turned off.

Your other solution is to run a toggle switch on your remote wire, find a 12 volt positive source from your headunit (id recommend the ignition switched wire on your headunit again. The red one) and then splice off that wire to the switch, then run your remote on the other connector of the switch, then when you want the amp on or off you flip the switch. If you use the red ignition switched wire your amp will still turn off with the car no matter the position of the switch.

ok bro..today like a couple mins ago like 20 mins..i wired the amp in my car and the amp worked perfectly good..it didnt go into protect or anything like that..it handled the MTX 4500 woofer pretty good...maybe the remote wire on my friends headunit is damaged like you said..ima try doing that today jumping the amp remote to the (+12 battery) on the amp....ill keep you in touch on how it goes today....

You didn't happen to do what this guy did, did you?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=30596

He had the remote going to the amp connected to a power antenna on his radio which caused the amp to cut off in any source but tuner. Just something to check since you both have a Sony H/U. You want blue w/ white stripe, not solid blue.

Edited by duct_tape123