Second Skin Audio

Box Help Please

Hi guy an gals,

This is probably posted somewhere else in this forum but I cant find it, I need some advice please please please. :good:

picture this if you will: I'm building a custom box for the back of my 4x4 and i have everythin perfect, except the front.

I have been debating before i cut anything out of the front should I: A: leave the ports where they are

or B: move ports to outer edge??

I'm really stumped and I thought I'd tickle someone elses brain. :crazy:

This is My New Box

NEWBOX.jpg

Photo-0224.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Edited by bigman2004_8
NewSig1.jpg

what subs/what amp

how big are those ports and what length

imo id rather have the ports in the middle so there arent any issues with them being too close to the enclosures walls

common chamber boxes are notorious for being louder than a partitioned box of the same specs so long as the common chamber box is well braced internally

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

what subs/what amp

how big are those ports and what length

imo id rather have the ports in the middle so there arent any issues with them being too close to the enclosures walls

common chamber boxes are notorious for being louder than a partitioned box of the same specs so long as the common chamber box is well braced internally

Hi m8, Subs and Amp are from a small local company close to me in th UK.

the ports are 27CM deep, 10CM diameter,

Pic Photo-0227.jpg

Thanks for the swift reply,

anything else just ask :)

QUICK EDIT

SUBS: http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&a...p;product_id=85

AMP: http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&a...p;product_id=91

Sorry forgot to add last time :)

Edited by bigman2004_8
NewSig1.jpg

as a very rough estimate...but i think its pretty close

ur looking at

[email protected]

5sqin/cuft port surface area

id leave the ports where they are... but ideally u should have 4 10cm ports ~51-59 cm long depending on tuning, which means ud need an elbow

if u notice the sound of chuffing, huffing, woofing or any sounds like that means there isnt enough port surface area

normally the sounds exiting the port should sound smooth and transitional... it should be obvious if u need more ports

goodluck

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

as a very rough estimate...but i think its pretty close

ur looking at

[email protected]

5sqin/cuft port surface area

id leave the ports where they are... but ideally u should have 4 10cm ports ~51-59 cm long depending on tuning, which means ud need an elbow

if u notice the sound of chuffing, huffing, woofing or any sounds like that means there isnt enough port surface area

normally the sounds exiting the port should sound smooth and transitional... it should be obvious if u need more ports

goodluck

Thanks for the luck m8,

the ports I am using are from this enclosure: http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&a...p;product_id=95

The only reason i didnt use 2 of there boxes is cos ive only got 100cm boot space, width wise, so i built a custom one.

I want to get a rough idea what its going to sound like, how do you think it is going to sound??

Many thanks

NewSig1.jpg

Noticing your sig....just a word of advice....peak power means nothing.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Noticing your sig....just a word of advice....peak power means nothing.

I kinda gathered that m8 but i thought id post it as i just came in from work and didnt think lol

Thanks for the advice ill change it now :)

NewSig1.jpg

Thanks for the luck m8,

the ports I am using are from this enclosure: http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&a...p;product_id=95

The only reason i didnt use 2 of there boxes is cos ive only got 100cm boot space, width wise, so i built a custom one.

I want to get a rough idea what its going to sound like, how do you think it is going to sound??

Many thanks

well the box on the site ur refering to was tuned to 50hz... which is 15hz above the highest i would ever tune to listen to music... that said, the box u made has a small amount of port area, large volume and low tuning... so it should sound pretty good from 30-50hz and there might be some dropoff above since theres not enough port area... but it should sound pretty good, amazing compared to the prefab one tuned to 50hz

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

well the box on the site ur refering to was tuned to 50hz... which is 15hz above the highest i would ever tune to listen to music... that said, the box u made has a small amount of port area, large volume and low tuning... so it should sound pretty good from 30-50hz and there might be some dropoff above since theres not enough port area... but it should sound pretty good, amazing compared to the prefab one tuned to 50hz

I hope this is going to sound awesome as i have 2 15's in there while this is getting built but there in a sealed enclosure, but sayin that when driving down the road or pullin up in garage they shake the goolies out of most things around it, i just hope what im building will be better than what i have....... HOPE :)

Thanks for the advice m8 :)

Anything else you think of that may help would be muchly appreciated :)

Edited by bigman2004_8
NewSig1.jpg

So weve all agreed, I should leave the ports where they are :)

By the way the blueprint has NOT had the speaker or port holes drawn to scale.

I Duck Taped the ports into position just to get an idea :)

Photo-0228.jpg

And with the front resting on :)

Photo-0231.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

NewSig1.jpg