Sonic Electronix

I just got a 2002 Dodge Ram SLT with the factory system and it SUCKS! I have to do something fast. I don't want to do anything crazy (yet) like a wall or a blow through, but I do need some low end.

So, right now it looks like I'm stuck with the space under the rear bench seat.

I have 2 new American Bass VFL 100.1 amps and would like to use both if I can find subs that can handle that power on a day-to-day basis that still fit under the seat, box and all.

I'm running one of the VFLs at 2 ohms in a Mountaineer on 2 Lanzar Optidrive 1232D subs (2.75c.f., 25.12 sq. inches of vent tuned to 22hz). Anybody who has any experience with that amp knows why I'm not optimistic about flat subs taking that kind of power on a daily basis.

Does anybody have any good ideas for this install? I've seen the prebuilt boxes for under the seat of the truck, but who wants to slap a sub in any old box? The chances of that sounding right.... Right now I'm leaning toward making a custom fiberglass/wood box for one high-power sub, but again the space issue. Most strong subs simply won't fit into the 9 inches or so under that seat. Is anyone familiar with the Audiopipe TSF 1200 flat subwoofer? It's said to handle 1000w RMS, but will 4 of them fit under that seat? Can you really get BIG bass from those flat-type speakers in a small box?

If it helps, I will post pics of the truck asap.

PLEASE HELP ME!

my boss has 4 of the memphis shallow subs and they seem to hit really damn hard... then he has powerbass in the doors... and well 5 tvs in it... one in the h/u one 15 right bellow one 15 above for the backup then 2 in the headrests...

Tim-Sig.png

62491252.png

The set up your talking about would sound great in my Tahoe. Trade you my dog for it. He has one eye but that only makes for bad depth perception so hey so what if he is running into shit, look at it this way he is easy to sneak up ninja style on. (right side only)
</div>

my boss has 4 of the memphis shallow subs and they seem to hit really damn hard... then he has powerbass in the doors... and well 5 tvs in it... one in the h/u one 15 right bellow one 15 above for the backup then 2 in the headrests...

How do your boss's shallow subs sound as far as low bass extension and SPL? How much airspace do they have? How much power is he using and in what kind of vehicle?

Do you guys think I would be better off going with 4 10 or 12 inch shallow subs (presumably inefficient), or cram the biggest single sub under the seat that will fit height-wise into a single ported box?

Edited by Ben Building

Does your truck have the fold out tray under the seat? If you do, you are gonna need to take it out. Let me go check the depth on my dad's truck real quick. Also do you know how to fiberglass at all?

Edited by blue86f150

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Does your truck have the fold out tray under the seat? If you do, you are gonna need to take it out. Let me go check the depth on my dad's truck real quick. Also do you know how to fiberglass at all?

No, there's no tray under the seat. I'm ok with fiberglass, but there are guys on this forum that are LOTS better. I want to try to tub the whole space out, but there's not a lot that will fit under there.

These are mesurements that i got off of my dads quad cab. It looks like you could do 1 12" with a depth of 6", and 1 10" with a depth of 6.5" I would have to say. Now if you were to do shallow mounts, then you can probably get away with 4, but i dont know if there is enough volume for 4 of them.

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

No, there's no tray under the seat. I'm ok with fiberglass, but there are guys on this forum that are LOTS better. I want to try to tub the whole space out, but there's not a lot that will fit under there.

If anybody has any experience building a custom box for this truck I would LOVE to hear from you before I get started.

These are mesurements that i got off of my dads quad cab. It looks like you could do 1 12" with a depth of 6", and 1 10" with a depth of 6.5" I would have to say. Now if you were to do shallow mounts, then you can probably get away with 4, but i dont know if there is enough volume for 4 of them.

Thanks for the help, Blue. I'd like to do something creative under there but, as you can see, there's not a lot of space to play with? Looking for suggestions here, so if it was your truck, what would you do?

Thanks for the help, Blue. I'd like to do something creative under there but, as you can see, there's not a lot of space to play with? Looking for suggestions here, so if it was your truck, what would you do?

It would have been cool to make and mount a trim ring for one high-power 12 inch subwoofer and mold a wood and fiberglass enclosure out of the rest of the space. The Ram is wide enough to make a looong port for a low fb, but mounting height precludes a REALLY powerful sub. Hopefully Santa will slide a couple of these down the chimney this year:

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/B...namicscs162.jpg

and this is the first time I've owned a vehicle wide enough to take full advantage of the front stage, so I need an impressive beat to match.

It would have been cool to make and mount a trim ring for one high-power 12 inch subwoofer and mold a wood and fiberglass enclosure out of the rest of the space. The Ram is wide enough to make a looong port for a low fb, but mounting height precludes a REALLY powerful sub. Hopefully Santa will slide a couple of these down the chimney this year:

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/B...namicscs162.jpg

and this is the first time I've owned a vehicle wide enough to take full advantage of the front stage, so I need an impressive beat to match.

If it was my truck, which i probably will do to my dads, is that i would invest in some fiber glass and get it done. Just looking at it, i believe you would be able to get a Fi Q 10, or even possibly a DC 10 in there. You would have to fiber glass the whole thing and then build the port so it would look like an L in the upper section where the wood would be and fire it out the front. would look pretty kool.

this sux camel dicks