Polymer Modeling Clay Inside Door Pods?

Colin - STAPUFT

I am making some (more) door pods for my Astro to each house 2 4" jbl gtis and 1 5.25" tang band woofer. The enclosures will have a 3/4" baffle, will be fiberglassed, then bondoed, poly-filled, then sealed. Right now I am in the middle of fiberglassing with 30 degree outside temps- suck.

On to my main question:

Has anyone heard of or had experience with covering the inside of speaker pods with Polymer Modeling Clay? If I am not mistaken, the polymer modeling clay is the type that doesn't air dry. So the inside of the box would be coated with this stuff to help deaden the box more and to help with the sound waves... (I assume). I do know that in his 7 time SQ world champion winning Buick Regal, Gary Biggs used modeling clay inside his mid enclosure (among doing many many more things that I will never do- so I'm not comparing myself or my work to that!).

Is this something that is worth doing? Could it hurt even if it doesn't help? Am I crazy or wasting my time? Thanks guys.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

• 1 month later...

yeah i'd like to know more too

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

its just a way to dampen it solid. You will hear the speaker and not the enclosure to eliminate resonating.

That is what I thought- I didn't do it. I ended up using gobs and gobs of resin and glass, then finishing it off with bondo. I also used a bit of polyfil on the inside. They sound really good as is.

I have just heard of some of the sq vehicles with the modeling clay inside of their enclosures.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

non-hardening clay, you can buy it at crafts stores. i seen a place online that sells 4 pounds for about $12 but i lost the link.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

idk diddly about that but i'd be afraid of hitting a mean bump and having it fall off, or what happens when it gets hot?

consider just using like edead liquid and swishing that junk all over the inside? or like dynamatting it?

also seems like clay would use up a lot of your airspace if you had sealed pods...

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

The clay will get soft but wont melt under normal conditions. But high heat, like here in TX ,can melt it since internal temps of cars reach well over 120 degrees. Id be afraid to use it, which is why I dont.

a massloading dampening might be better, or a liquid deadener like you mentioned, or even a sand + resin mix can be substitutes.

You can make up the loss of airspace by using polyfil, fiberfluff or acoustic stuffing.

Team Stereo Clarity

Archived