Tricky Install Of Apple Tv

Guest DC Power Kyle

Guest KyleCannon

Alright guys,

I am going to put an Apple TV in my car and use my iPhone as the Remote for it along with an Airport Express. The problem is, I am not sure how I can get past the fact of having the Apple TV turning off and on with the car. I don't want to have to wait 1 minute for the sucker to turn on each time I turn the car off and on, So I was wondering if there is some way for me to have some sort of "remote" that after the car has been off for x minutes, to turn it off. Another thing I was thinking about is getting an AGM battery and having it being dedicated to the inverter and have a relay so it doesn't drain my stuff over night. In reality, I would love for the sucker to stay on 24/7, but I would like to know everyone's take on how do it. I got a 750W Vector Inverter and it's on its way. The apple TV pulls 1 amp, so thats 120~watts roughly if I am not mistaken. Hopefully I am making sense here, I have 50 ways of doing this in my head so the question is, how would you accomplish this task? Thanks!

They're all ATX so unless the Apple uses and ATX connector to power it (probably doesn't) then they're not a lot of good to him.

Does the Apple TV use an external power brick or do you plug the cord straight into the back of it? If it uses an external then you should find out how to do a 12vdc -> voltage X (will almost certainly be DC) converter as they're much more efficient than inverters.

Otherwise you're a bit stuffed really. Just put up with the 1 minute start... if you can't power it all the time that's the only option. Then again it won't draw 120w all the time, that's more like peak load... so possibly put it on an AGM battery with a low-power cutoff and one of those automatic switching units that only connects it to the rest of the car's electrics when the alt is outputting current.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Guest KyleCannon

Apple TV just has a AC cord with no power brick outside. I am guessing I will deal with the 1 minute start up and get a smaller power master battery for it. I am still up for more suggestions because I am still waiting for the inverter to be shipped to me via costco.

Apple TV just has a AC cord with no power brick outside. I am guessing I will deal with the 1 minute start up and get a smaller power master battery for it. I am still up for more suggestions because I am still waiting for the inverter to be shipped to me via costco.

Could you not open it up and find where the internal power transformer is, and find out the voltage, and find a dc transformer to solder to that, bypassing the DC->AC->AC->DC conversion process?

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!