Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Polycarbonate/plexiglass Acrylic Enclosure Question


hawkins6423

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am building a box for a friend right now. were putting 3 15 L7's and a sundown 3000d.

We already have all the equipment and were working on the box. I have two specific questions; I am wrapping the box in the ford king ranch leather.... what is the best way to do that?

ALSO, I am making a front plexiglass type window. How do you connect plexiglass to MDF? I am building sort of a frame to insert the plexiglass (24x48inch) sheet into. its 3/8 inch thick. Can i drill through it? I dont want to crack it. Any suggestions on how to tuck the leather/ have it adhere to the box etc, also on plexiglass fabrications that would be great thanks....

Also, does anyone know where steve got the Caddilac engraved on the EXT's box on the plexi?

Posted

there are special drill bits to drill in to acrylic, and routers are your best friend with acrylic.

That isn't a engraving, its a sticker, the special kin that illuminate when placed on acrylic

I would hit up DrDB or if you have a Tap Plastics near by you, check them out. They sell lots of drill bits, router bits, and saw blades for cutting that stuff

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.
Posted

what i would propaly try to do is cut two pieces of mdf for the piece of acrylic like a double baffle and grab a rabbet bit on a router to make the piece sit flush in between the two sheets of wood.

Roseville, CA

Posted

yeah that was my idea with the two peices of MDF on either side acting like a double baffle, I have a CNC router, so i might use that to cut the plexi.

but a 2" strip of mdf.....with bolts going through it..... its pretty fragile.

Is 3/4 oz fiberglass mat okay for the inside of the box?

Is there an advantage of going polycarbonate over plexiglass?

Posted

i dont know about that lol sorry polycarbonate over plexiglass. 3/4 will work youll just need more coats than if you were using 2 oz mat

Roseville, CA

Posted

The only problem I see is the thickness of the plexi...I would not run anything under 3/4 for those subs and that power.As for drilling the plexi there are special bits for that shit...a much steeper angle on the point..a little counter sink is needed as well...when you are tightening the screws down use your clutch on the drill and remember to tighten then a little bit at a time..be careful of the corners.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3795 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...