Hu Suggestions?

Looking for HU suggestions. Budget probably $600 max. Would be great if something good was available much cheaper in say the $400ish range. Maybe dreaming.........

Things I'd like on a HU. Okay, maybe not the most up on HU's now, but here goes. Standard or double din should fit (2005 Camry).

-CD

-Maybe a change control

-Not worked up about DVD as my DVD's are mostly region 2 and so probably won't play anyway.

-Eq section. More control the better here. Been looking at 3sixty's, H701's etc. Getting myself under control after on that. Would love to have especially the Alpine from what I've read. Just thinking that although these might be the ultimate, I really don't need to spend that much on top of a HU. As I said though, the more control on the HU the better. Have tuned before and if need be can get the car RTA'ed to get close.

-Time alignment

-Would be nice to be able to plug an ipod into it or maybe a USB memory stick

-RCA output needs to be at least 4 volt. (Have 4 volt input max amps).

-a flexible x over section in the HU would be nice. My amps have built in, but would be nice to be able to get greater range of control maybe through the HU. Would b enice to control sub, midbass on a band pass, mid and tweeter (the mid tweet would probably just be on a hp using xover with the speakers I guess due to amps and inputs)

-RCA number if doing everything from the HU would probably be a pair for the front, rear and then sub.

System is in the plan stages. Amps are a T5002 and a T4004.

Speakers have two potential plans-

Plan 1 - Midbass in the front doors (may be stuck with 6.5, but might see if 8's can be customed in). Custom kicks with 5.25 and tweeter in each. Still to be chosen depending on plan chosen.

Using the amps x over I can run a single RCA to the back from the HU into the T5002, x that at say lp 50 as an example and then have the pass through to the T4004 be hp 50 up. Run the rear channel of the T4004 to the midbass and x at say lp 220 so I would end up with the midbass at 50 to 220 (again, only example numbers of what is available). Then the front channel could be used for the kicks and x at hp 220. I'd have to use the xovers supplied with the component set if that is the way I go, of if I make my own set then I'd need to make a xover for them.

Alternatively, I could run it the same, but use the HU and all the RCA outs on it to xover each channel. Would need the ability to do basically the same system as above x over on each RCA from the HU (don't get stuck on the numbers as concrete, just examples). Would still have to run the component x overs I guess.

Plan 2 - Image dynamics compact horns under the dash (these I read the suggested xover is 800 is that correct? If so then my amp x over system will not do as 400 is the highest so will need a xover for it). Custom kicks with 8's in them for mid/midbass.

Subs will be two 12's in the trunk. Will need a sub channel of course.

Think that rambling about covers it. Hope I've been clear. What do you think on a really good HU in my range with at least the features listed?

Did have a scant look at the Eclipse CD7000, CD7100 and CD7200. Had some suggestions of the Alpine 9887 with imprint and a Pioneer 800prs also.

Suggestions? Comments on above ones? Is the copper coating on the Pioneer just a sales gimmic you think?

Thanks for any replies.

alpine 9887 or pioneer 800 imo are your best options and both can be had for under the 400 that you wanted to spend with all the features you illuded to minus usb

ipod is a vable hookup for both of them

i liked a few years back eclipses but i dont like the controls on the new ones since the 8445 series

alpine 9887 or pioneer 800 imo are your best options and both can be had for under the 400 that you wanted to spend with all the features you illuded to minus usb

i liked a few years back eclipses but i dont like the controls on the new ones since the 8445 series

Thanks for the reply! I had heard that on the Alpine you needed to buy the Imprint thing to be able to use all the features of the HU. Do you know if that is true? The microphone part of it sounds interesting, but not sure if it is just to set things automatically through the Imprint box or if you can manually adjust things as well using it. Anyone happen to know? Not found a real detailed explaination yet on all. Would be nice if the mic had some sort of built in rta that you could manually adjust for, but not sure it has that feature. Going to have to look around a bit more and see what it can do.

Between the two, if you do have to buy the Imprint as well, then the Pioneer seems to be the cheaper option, but not sure it does all the Alpine does....

get the 800 as described.the pioneer has usb function if you buy the adapter..great hu, i love mine

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

Thanks for all the comments.

Found a large post about the Imprint deal. Sounds like it makes loads of difference, but also has caused some people issues. This is just here say from reading other people's results so don't have proof, but supposedly the Imprint sets your xovers automatically. The xover setting is determined by the unit and is supposed to be non adjustable from there if using the Imprint settings. The might then set the xover points lower than a speaker is rated for.

Also read that using the Imprint makes it so you only have a bass and treble adjustment and you loose the eq ability the deck had if running it.

Lastly, seems a lot of people had problems with getting the sub to work well. The Imprint likes to tone it down and it looses its impact.

So, looking at it, it is as you say, look deck to deck without the Imprint module.

Thanks loads for all the posts.

Started to look at the charts on Crutchfield to compare the specs yesterday. Maybe look a bit more today. Looking for the most control in eq bands, xover points and alignment with the correct RCA outs needed. Then looking at voltage and other specs. The above ones look to be in range voltage out wise, but guess if there was a HU that was only 2 volts I could always run a driver.

Hopefully a really good HU with controls in my price range will get me away from the urge that I need a 3sixty as well or an H701 or AC 31 band eq's on each channel.

Archived