Second Skin Audio

Help On Boxes

t-roy

DO I BUILD THE BOX IN THE CUBE FT. AND THEN INSERT MY PORT OR DO I TAKE JUST THE THICKNESS OF THE WOOD IN THE PORT OR DO I BUILD THE BOX TO SPEC SAY 2.5 PER FT A SUB AND THEN ADD THE PORT TO THAT 2.5 OR DO I JUST INSERT THE P[ORT IN THAT 2.5 I NEED TO KNOW THAT

DO I BUILD THE BOX IN THE CUBE FT. AND THEN INSERT MY PORT OR DO I TAKE JUST THE THICKNESS OF THE WOOD IN THE PORT OR DO I BUILD THE BOX TO SPEC SAY 2.5 PER FT A SUB AND THEN ADD THE PORT TO THAT 2.5 OR DO I JUST INSERT THE P[ORT IN THAT 2.5 I NEED TO KNOW THAT

I have no idea what any of that means.

Building a box takes a lot of design. The way I do it is this order.

-Find out how much space is needed for the subs adding their displacement (10 cu + .25 + .25 = 10.5 cu inner space)

-Figure out the port area based on the airspace (Let's say 100sq in. = 25" x 4")

-Find the length of the port for the desired tuning (Let's say 10" deep)

-Find port displacement with wood thickness ([26.5" tall x 5.5" wide x 10" deep] / 1728 = .84 cu ft.)

-Build the box with enough space to reach the 'desired' airspace so the port and sub displacement won't affect the net air space. (10.5 + .84 = 11.34 cu)

^These values were just made up for the most part. I'm not gonna take the time to designs a box. Just arbitrary values to give you an idea.

With that order everything will be tuned properly and you won't get yourself into that loop of changing values to meet the criteria. Some people use programs, but I do it all by hand. Do some research in this section to find more info on box builds. This question has been asked many times before.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Archived