Second Skin Audio

Tuning A Box

ballfolife8

Can someone please explain to me how this works. I here a lot of people saying something like "i have a box thats 7cb ft and its tuned to 32Hz." How do you come up with these numbers, is there a formula or something that i can use, and i believe it has something to do with the size of the port. But im getting ready to build a box for 2 15" Orion HCCA dual 2ohm and for power i will be running 2 Orion D5000 with a 260 amp alt and i havnt desided on batts yet.

2002 Ford Excursion

2 12" JL W7

1 JL 1000/1 ON SUBS

1 JL 450/4 ON HIGHS/MIDS

3 SETS OF 5X7 POLK AUDIO DB'S

200 AMP ALT BIG 3 IN 0 GUAGE WIRE

OPTIMA RED TOP UNDER THE HOOD

2 RUNS OF 0 GAUGE TO THE REAR

haha no but really...most people (if not all) use some sort of calculator to figure tuning out. box size comes into play. the port needs a certain amount of sq inches in relevance to cubic space and to the speakers. (example: say you have a box that is 2 cubic feet, and need 12 sq inches of port per foot, then you're port opening would need to be 24 sq inches. 4 cubic feet would be 48 sq inches of port) the range is ~13 inches, give or take a few depending on application. the length of the port determines what it's tuned to. extend the port, and tuning goes lower. shorten it, and tuning goes higher. the more surface area of port you have, the longer the port needs to be if you're trying to achieve a low tuning frequency.

when figuring box space, you must subtract the port volume from the box as this does not factor into total box space

i hope i didnt ramble...and i probably left a few things out. i'll check when i come back inside, gonna work on foaming my car before it gets dark :P

haha no but really...most people (if not all) use some sort of calculator to figure tuning out. box size comes into play. the port needs a certain amount of sq inches in relevance to cubic space and to the speakers. (example: say you have a box that is 2 cubic feet, and need 12 sq inches of port per foot, then you're port opening would need to be 24 sq inches. 4 cubic feet would be 48 sq inches of port) the range is ~13 inches, give or take a few depending on application. the length of the port determines what it's tuned to. extend the port, and tuning goes lower. shorten it, and tuning goes higher. the more surface area of port you have, the longer the port needs to be if you're trying to achieve a low tuning frequency.

when figuring box space, you must subtract the port volume from the box as this does not factor into total box space

i hope i didnt ramble...and i probably left a few things out. i'll check when i come back inside, gonna work on foaming my car before it gets dark :P

2002 Ford Excursion

2 12" JL W7

1 JL 1000/1 ON SUBS

1 JL 450/4 ON HIGHS/MIDS

Ok i think i got it, i couldnt figure this out for the longest time, so i was just building boxes and i didnt know what they were tuned to or anything like that. So do you have any suggestions on what i should tune this box to, because im guessing its just personal preference and i listen to a lot of hip hop and i like those low bass notes, so any suggestions would be cool, oh yeah its going in a 2008 magnum. And i had one more question, what is the formula to finding out what the cubic sq ft to a box is. THANKS MAN I APPRECIATE THE HELP.

2002 Ford Excursion

2 12" JL W7

1 JL 1000/1 ON SUBS

1 JL 450/4 ON HIGHS/MIDS

if you like hip hop music, i'd tune between 30-35 hz. i tuned mine to 30.

for box volume, take the internal measurements of the box (so you dont get wood accounted in the volume) multiply length by width by height and divide by 1728. you divide by that number because that's the volume of one cube.

ex: a box 25" wide, 18" tall, and 30" deep would yield a volume of 7.81 cubes (the ACTUAL measurements of the box would be 26.5 wide, 19.5 tall, and 31.5. if using 3/4" MDF wood. these would be the outer measurements)

Hey EXPO i really appreciate the comebacks, u made it really simple. thanks.

2002 Ford Excursion

2 12" JL W7

1 JL 1000/1 ON SUBS

1 JL 450/4 ON HIGHS/MIDS

Archived